Pompey hit new low at York

Wes Fletcher puts York in front in the first half Picture: Joe Pepler
Wes Fletcher puts York in front in the first half Picture: Joe Pepler
Kal Naismith battles for the ball in Pompey's draw against Scunthorpe. Picture: Joe Pepler

Pompey 1-1 Scunthorpe: they said what?

Have your say

Pompey’s season hit a new low today with a woeful 4-2 defeat at York.

Guy Whittingham’s side were pummelled by the Minstermen at Bootham Crescent as they served up a display riddled with errors.

It took three minutes for the Blues to fall behind to Wes Fletcher’s finish after a mistake by John Sullivan.

Jed Wallace levelled in the 53rd minute with a sensational goal-of-the-season contender – running half the length of the pitch and beating a host of players before finishing.

But another error from Sullivan four minutes later undid that work as he dropped a routine catch to allow Lewis Montrose to tap in.

Goals from the dangerous Ryan Jarvis and Fletcher then heaped further embarrassment on Pompey as they fell apart, before sub John Marquis pulled one back late on.

Pompey went into the game protecting an unbeaten away record in League Two this season.

But the display they served up in the first 45 minutes threatened to undo that run.

Whittingham’s side made a dreadful start and fell behind in the third minute with the sloppiest of goals.

Johnny Ertl gave away a free-kick 30 yards out and Josh Carson’s low delivery was spilled by Sullivan.

No blue shirt reacted to that mistake and it was Fletcher who was on hand to fire home.

York continued to dominate, with their wingers having plenty of joy, and Pompey giving away a string of free-kicks in dangerous areas.

Montrose smashed a 30-yard volley narrowly over in the 27th minute after being booked for a foul on Ertl.

Pompey were struggling for any kind of fluency but had a rare chance when David Connolly volley over from Wallace’s cross 10 minutes before the break.

Fletcher had the last chance before the break from yet another cheap free-kick, but he fired at Sullivan, who held his shot well.

Pompey desperately needed some inspiration and they got it in magical style eight minutes after the restart.

Wallace was the man to do it with a special goal as he picked the ball up on half-way and ran at the home side.

He tore into the heart of the Minstermen, with bodies being left in his wake, before coolly rolling the ball home.

Sullivan then made two great stops in quick succession to deny Montrose and Fletcher.

But that meant little when he then dropped a routine catch to allow Montrose the softest of goals.

Pompey were now reeling and York added two goals in two minutes as Jarvis had a field day.

He grabbed the third after 66 minutes, before crossing for Fletcher to head in and put the home crowd in dreamland.

Marquis was thrown on and pulled a goal back with time ticking down.

But that failed to cover up what was an inept and ultimately embarrassing performance from Pompey.