Powerful Blues see off Plymouth

Have your say

Pompey ended their four-game run without victory with a 2-1 win over Plymouth today.

Jed Wallace and Ryan Taylor got the goals which delivered the three points for Andy Awford’s side.

Pompey battled Plymouth at Fratton Park. Picture: Joe Pepler

Pompey battled Plymouth at Fratton Park. Picture: Joe Pepler

Sub Olly Lee set it up for a nervy finale with a fine 20-yard finish.

But Pompey held on as the visitors had defender Curtis Nelson sent off at the end of normal time.

Awford made one change from the side who drew at Carlisle – with Nyron Nosworthy replacing Ben Chorley.

And Pompey should have been in front inside 60 seconds when Wes Fogden freed Matt Tubbs.

Tubbs was well placed a few yards out but Luke McCormick kept out his angled drive.

Zak Ansah then had a good chance for the visitors after seven minutes, but Paul Jones was equal to it.

It was a similar story 12 minutes later when Dominic Blizzard found space in the box, but the Pompey keeper smothered his shot.

Tubbs had a second effort fired wide after 20 minutes when he elected to take his shot early but failed to hit the target.

There were a couple of half chances for both side before the break of little consequence.

But Plymouth had a great chance to open the scoring after 40 minutes when James Dunne lost the ball, but Jason Banton fired his effort wide of goal from six yards.

There was a lack of quality about both side’s play in the first 45 minutes.

A typical moment of Wallace magic changed that, though, less than a minute after the restart.

Wallace produced a driving run before exchanging passes with Tubbs and unleashing a left-footed drive from 20 yards which beat McCormick’s dive.

Plymouth had a decent chance to level after 71 minutes – but Curtis Nelson planted his header wide from a corner.

The game then exploded to life when Taylor grabbed the second goal from from a fine Butler cross after 76 minutes.

That had it set for a comfortable finale until sub Olly Lee smashed in a 20 yarder two minutes later for Plymouth.

The play-off chasers then threw everything at Pompey and Jones made a great late stop from Lee.

That was before Wallace was caught by Nelson – and ref Andy D’Urso dismissed the defender.

Pompey then held on through five minutes of stoppage time to grab the three points.