Tough times as troubles mounts at Borough

Gosport Borough's troubles continue to mount '“ both on and off the pitch.

Monday, 24th October 2016, 7:30 am
Updated Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 7:38 pm
TJ Cuthbertson, left. Picture: Habibur Rahman
TJ Cuthbertson, left. Picture: Habibur Rahman

Borough slipped to a third successive National League South defeat as they went down 3-1 to Wealdstone at Privett Park on Saturday.

It is believed the club have also been placed under a transfer embargo for the second successive season because of outstanding debts.

Gosport have also pulled out of Tuesday night’s scheduled Portsmouth Senior Cup tie against the Hawks because of ‘injuries and other commitments’.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Mick Catlin admitted things are not easy at the moment.

‘These are difficult times,’ said the assistant manager.

‘We have lost three on the bounce and keep giving away sloppy goals.

‘As a result, we are not playing with any confidence.

‘Until we address the problems, we are not going to win any football matches.

‘The players cannot use off-the-field uncertainties as an excuse. They have to focus on the football.

‘It is vital we dig ourselves out of the rut sooner rather than later.’

Borough started brightly but fell behind after 14 minutes following a defensive error.

A poor headed clearance allowed Sahr Kabba to get in a low cross to the far post which was headed home by Matt Whichelow.

It was a big blow to Borough’s confidence as they looked to bounce back from their 6-0 home defeat by Chelmsford City the previous Saturday.

The hosts, however, dug in and grabbed an equaliser in stoppage-time at the end of the first half.

Dan Wooden controlled an Aaron Dawson free-kick and crossed for Brett Poate to touch the ball home.

Catlin said: ‘We had recovered from the early blow and rallied to come in level. Then straight from the restart we conceded again and we were chasing the game after that.’

Borough gave possession away at the restart and Wealdstone made them pay.

Three or four passes up the middle exposed the defence and Elliott Benyon slotted past keeper Martin Rice.

Wealdstone were reduced to 10 men when Sam Cox received a second yellow card for a foul on Ollie Bailey.

Borough pushed hard but couldn’t make their advantage count.

Their fate was sealed in stoppage-time when TJ Cuthbertson’s goalline clearance was picked up by Rice and harshly adjudged a back-pass.

Benyon blasted home from the free-kick leaving Borough in dismay.

Catlin added: ‘At the moment we look weak mentally whenever anything goes against us.

‘We lack confidence on the ball and players shrink into their shells.

‘This week we will be working at getting back to basics and trying to be braver on the ball.’