Havant and Fareham set up cup final showdown

Fareham and Havant men's first teams will meet each other in the Hampshire Cup final after both sides won back-to-back ties at the weekend.

Tuesday, 19th April 2016, 6:44 am
Nathan Palmer. Picture: Neil Marshall

Both teams recorded quarter-final and semi-final victories on Saturday to set up a long-awaited showdown on May 2.

Fareham got off to a flyer with a comfortable 3-1 victory over Trojans in the quarter-final thanks to a brace from Chris Davey and a penalty corner strike by Jamie Rawlings.

In the semi-final, Fareham cruised to a 5-2 victory over Winchester.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Sixteen-year-old Academy player Kieran Page scored his first senior goal for the club.

Rawlings doubled the score but Winchester pulled one back through former Fareham player Ben Hibberd.

Nathan Palmer, playing his last game before emigrating to Australia, grabbed the third before Alex Boxall and James Seager finished off the scoring.

Meanwhile, Havant defeated Southampton 6-1 in their quarter-final, with first-half goals from Adam Bloomfield, James Evans and Jamie Whitehouse.

Craig Duffy, James Lester and Jonathan Pickett scored the second-half goals.

The match also saw James Harper and Aaron Hoare make their first team debuts.

Havant’s good form continued in the semi-final after an easy 3-1 victory over Wimborne Wayfarers.

Pickett converted a penalty corner in the first five minutes before James Speke doubled his side’s lead just before half-time.

Wimborne pulled one back only for Whitehouse to seal the win in the closing stages.

Havant girls lifted the Hampshire under-16 Club Cup on Sunday following an excellent 5-2 victory over Trojans in the final.

However, Havant Ladies lost 3-2 on penalty flicks after the semi-final tie finished 1-1 after full-time against rivals Trojans.

Fareham Ladies second team failed in their bid to reach the Hampshire Trophy final after a 2-1 defeat to Haslemere seconds.

They fell behind and although they equalised through Nic Pierce, Haslemere retook the lead in the second half.

Haslemere will play the Isle of Wight on May 2, after the Islanders beat Havant thirds 4-1 in the other semi-final.