Havant on rise after shaking off stubborn Gravesend

Havant moved into the top four of London one south with an excellent 29-21 win at Gravesend.

Monday, 7th November 2016, 8:00 am
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 3:52 pm
Scott Morris

Head coach Will Knight was pleased to see his team show the greater resilience he has been demanding from them on their travels.

‘This is a very good result for us,’ he said.

‘Although it was a topsy-turvy game in terms of the scores, I never felt it was one we were going to lose.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

‘I always felt we had enough control to win it.

‘We changed a few things in our preparation to ensure we were in the right mindset.’

Havant started well and surged ahead after 10 minutes when Scott Morris broke from his own twenty-two.

He took the ball virtually up to the home line before offloading to Ben Brierley who scored – with Joel Knight adding the conversion.

Gravesend hit back with a converted try but before half-time the visitors had regained the lead.

Good combination between forwards and backs ended with Loz Blackburn adding to his try tally.

The home side hit back to lead soon after half-time but Joel Knight quickly knocked over a penalty.

Brierley took Havant into a 22-14 lead with his second try but still Havant couldn’t shake Gravesend off.

Seven minutes from the end they finally sealed the win with a contender for try of the season finished off by Jerome Rudder.

United Services had to settle for a 17-17 draw against Weybridge Vandals in their London three south west contest at Burnaby Road.

The Sailors threw away a 17-point lead in the final 20 minutes.

‘We played well for 60 minutes and then switched off,’ said director of rugby Matt Davis.

‘It is definitely points thrown away.

‘There is little doubt it is a game we should have won.’

Ben Smith put Services ahead with an early penalty.

By half-time the home side led 10-0 with Liam Geoghegan putting Steve Gee in for a try, converted by Smith.

Geoghegan scored a try of his own after the break with Smith again knocking over the extra points.

Services then allowed the visitors back into it.