Havant's title hopes back in their own hands

Havant's title hopes are back in their own hands as results went their way in South Premier division one at the weekend.

Tuesday, 7th March 2017, 7:00 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 11:08 am
Adam Seccull scored twice for Havant in their 5-0 victory against Guildford Picture: Neil Marshall

A 5-0 victory against Guildford, coupled with leaders Bromley & Beckenham’s 3-0 loss at Banbury, means the Barncroft Way side are back in control.

The second-placed side now sit one point behind Bromley with a game in hand and a far superior goal difference.

Havant could have taken the lead against Guildford after six minutes, when James Speke shot across the face of the goal.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

He then had another good chance two minutes later, only for the home keeper to make the save.

Several other opportunities went astray, too, with Maciej Janiszewski and Speke again unable to take advantage of the away side’s dominance.

However, a goal was coming and it eventually arrived on 26 minutes.

Adam Seccull converted his second penalty corner of the game with a straight flick that handed Havant a well-deserved lead.

Four minutes after half-time, the visitors extended their lead.

Adam Bloomfield robbed a Guildford defender, ran into the circle and drew the keeper, before setting up Niall Stott for a simple tap-in.

Stott was denied from a penalty corner minutes later, while the home keeper also thwarted Mike Deller-Merricks’ hopes of getting on the scoresheet.

But the former wasn’t to be denied on 50 minutes, when he fired home after Stott’s shot was saved and parried into his path.

Havant’s fourth penalty corner in the 59th minute, made after a good run from Duncan Marsh into the circle, produced Seccull’s second goal of the game.

And the visitors wrapped up the scoring two minutes later when Speke converted from a penalty corner.

In South Clubs’ Women’s Hockey League division one, Havant lost 2-0 at Epsom.