City of Portsmouth toast a fine double from Ivan Boswell

Ivan Boswell scored twice for City of Portsmouth. Picture: Keith Woodland
Ivan Boswell scored twice for City of Portsmouth. Picture: Keith Woodland
Share this article
Have your say

An impressive performance saw City of Portsmouth beat rivals Havant 2-0 on Saturday.

The City men’s first team were looking to maintain their good form and the game started with the expected high intensity from both sides, reports Luke Parsons.

City created the best of the opening chances, attacking Havant on the break.

Havant responded well with their own well-worked periods of play. However, they were unable to break the City defence.

The second half started in the same way until Havant began to look more dangerous.

But once City settled down they took command again.

Stu Avery sent Ivan Boswell clear to beat the Havant keeper and flick into the net. Shortly after a well-struck short corner rebound from Pete Hayward fed Boswell to net his second.

Man of the Match was awarded to Sam Murray.

City of Portsmouth men’s seconds lost at Aldershot & Farnham.

James Payne scored City’s only goal in a 4-1 reverse.

Man of the match was Chris Palmer for his work-rate.

City men’s third team earned a 2-1 win against Alton.

Man-of-the-match Owen Barnes scored for City in the first half.

Alton equalised with a goal against the run of play.

City kept pushing for a winner and their efforts were rewarded.

As the game entered the final two minutes Paul Barnes burst forward and found Alan Ball to slot home the winner.

City of Portsmouth ladies first team suffered a rocky start as they saw Eastleigh net early on.

But they quickly regrouped and managed to strike eight goals.

Ellie McMaster and Lauren Stewart scored while Katie Spooner netted twice.

Becky Clay led the scoring with a brilliant hat-trick. 

City ladies seconds faced Basingstoke away.

Basingstoke were in good form and took a two-goal lead.

An injury for captain Gemma English saw her seeing out the game from the sidelines after only 25 minutes.

City ended up falling to a 5-0 defeat although they didn’t concede any goals in the second half, showing determination and defending well.