Coach looks to positives after Fareham surrender lead

Laura Farrell. Picture: Habibur Rahman (161309-58)
Laura Farrell. Picture: Habibur Rahman (161309-58)
Have your say

Fareham were left to rue missed opportunities as they were held to a 2-2 draw at Teddington II in South Clubs’ Women’s League division 3B on Saturday.

Steve Lemon’s outfit travelled in high spirits after beating Lewes 4-0 in their opening game of the season.

But despite taking a 2-0 lead through Vicky Field and Laura Farrell, they were hit by two goals in the final eight minutes and were forced to settle for a share of the spoils.

Lemon acknowledged the game could have been over by half-time.

But the coach remained positive after watching his troops carve out numerous chances.

He said: ‘We are obviously very disappointed at throwing away a two-goal lead.

‘In all honesty, we should have been out of sight by half-time.

‘We have a number of new players in the side and this year and it will take time to gel.

‘But we are creating plenty of chances, so things are looking positive for the rest of the season.’

Fareham edged the early skirmishes on a stick pitch in Middlesex.

Hannah Oldham, Farrell and Field all went close to opening the scoring before the visitors finally got their noses in front.

With the game approaching half-time, Field rounded Teddington keeper Evelyn Wood to put her side in front.

And the Henry Cort side doubled their lead on 52 minutes when Farrell deflected home a cross from Hannah Nicholls.

Fareham looked odds-on to complete victory until Teddington launched a fightback with eight minutes remaining.

They hosts reduced the deficit when Sara Walker got in front of Indian international keeper Swati to deflect the ball home.

And Teddington equalised in the final minute when they pinched the ball in midfield and drove into the Fareham D before hitting to the far post where Cath Cherrington converted a simple tap-in.

Meanwhile, Havant are still looking for their opening win in division two after losing 2-0 to Teddington’s first team at Barncroft Way.