Contrasting fortunes as Havant and Fareham end campaigns

Fareham's Richard Jenkin celebrates scoring against Bournville
Fareham's Richard Jenkin celebrates scoring against Bournville
Share this article
Matt Cox scored for Havant. Picture: Keith Woodland

Havant unable to halt Olton counter charge

Have your say

Havant’s men required a win at Cheltenham to finish the Conference West season in second position – but threw away the points in 20 minutes of madness.

Visiting Havant dominated the first 25 minutes, and created numerous clear-cut chances.

Andy Pett, Colin French, Pol Soms Irazola, Tom Murtagh, Ben Mackey and Matt Boote all went close before Havant finally broke the deadlock in the 24th minute.

A well-executed penalty corner by Murtagh was deflected home by Pett at the left post.

But the second half was a different story altogether as the away side continually gave the ball away.

And, before long, the hosts were back on level terms.

Cheltenham earned a penalty corner and – although the first shot was dealt with by the defence – the hosts were able to put the ball back into the circle, where Isaacs was beaten at his near post.

What followed was a frantic 15 minutes where Havant were awarded suspensions for two green cards and a yellow.

This meant they never regained the momentum and Cheltenham went 2-1 up after good work down the left.

Havant end the season fourth in the table, with University of Birmingham taking the runners-up spot.

Fareham, meanwhile, had to claw back a 3-1 deficit to beat relegated Bournville 5-3 at Henry Cort and end their Conference West programme on a winning note.

‘We struggled to get going,’ admitted head coach Nigel Cook.

‘As soon as the lads saw that Bournville had only 11 players, motivation was lost and we only won it in the last six minutes.’

Fareham were chasing the game early on when Harry Rowland fired the midlanders into a sixth-minute lead.

And, although Alex Boxall equalised with a cracking shot into the roof of the net soon after, the hosts struggled to find any rhythm.

Another Rowland strike, followed by a third goal shortly after half-time by Ed Stanhope, gave Bournville a 3-1 lead.

But two Fareham goals in three minutes – a Richard Jenkin penalty corner, followed by Craig Peel’s 18th of the season – levelled the scores.

Fareham clinched it with two late goals, Jenkin making it 4-3 and Boxall scoring the fifth three minutes from time.

n Jenkin also hit a hat-trick as Fareham’s second team beat Old Cranleighians 7-3 to clinch the play-off spot in Hampshire/Surrey Regional League division one.