Double defeat for Havant teams

Havant's Andrew Pett
Havant's Andrew Pett
Havant have been in superb form

Treble now within Havant’s grasp as they target fine finish to season

Have your say

Havant’s men slipped to third place in EHL Conference West with a 3-1 defeat at Guildford.

The hosts started the stronger and made the most of their early pressure when they went ahead in the seventh minute.

Mo Lester gave the ball away in Havant’s 25 and Jonathan Haynes made no mistake, entering the circle and placing a reverse shot past Andrew Isaacs.

Havant responded and did have the ball in the net, but the goal was disallowed as the final touch from Ben Mackey was played above his head.

The second half could not have started better for the visitors when, within two minutes, they were back on level terms.

Sunny passed to Andrew Pett wide on the left-hand side of the circle, and Pett sent an unstoppable reverse shot past Simon Mason.

But Guildford were back in front on 44 minutes. Haynes slipped past Raj Laly and Jamie Askham, before placing a shot past Isaacs.

And the hosts made sure of the win in the 69th minute, when the ever-green Ian Jennings converted a penalty corner.

Havant’s ladies also suffered defeat – conceding a goal three minutes from time to lose 1-0 at home against Maidenhead.

The visitors threatened early on but were constantly thwarted by a strong home back four.

Havant did not get many chances in the whole match and the closest they came in the first half was when Hollie Smith attempted a reverse-stick deflection, which went wide of the left-hand post.

The second period of play was conducted in much the same way, although this time Havant began to enjoy greater possession.

And with five minutes remaining, there was a ray of light for Havant after a visiting defender received a yellow card.

But a goalkeeping error allowed the visitors to score and seal the points.

n Fareham men’s firsts were beaten 3-2 at home by a well-organised Team Bath Buccaneers side.

Both teams created chances in the early stages but the Buccaneers capitalised first when Tim Davenport lifted the ball over the advancing Harris.

Fareham responded and had shouts for a penalty stroke when James Seager appeared to be fouled in front of goal, but the umpires thought otherwise.

The hosts then had to play with 10 men when Shaun Baker was shown a green card for a tackle before half-time.

After the restart, the away side extended their lead on 42 minutes as Lewis Prosser converted a short corner.

Team Bath made it 3-0 three minutes later when Richard Bendry converted.

Fareham fought their way back into the game, and after rounding the keeper, Richard Jenkins jabbed the ball home, to make it 3-1 on 49 minutes.

But once again Fareham were to go down to 10 men when Alex Boxall was shown a debatable green card for a tackle.

It was a late flurry of short corners and attacking play within the Bath D which brought the game to an exciting finish.

And after a spell of pressure, Seager slotted the ball underneath the Bath keeper to make the final score 3-2.

n City of Portsmouth’s men’s firsts hosted promotion-chasing Basingstoke in an entertaining game but went down 4-2.

Basingstoke piled on the pressure and City found themselves 2-0 down at half-time.

Portsmouth improved in the second half and managed to pull one back through Jon Veck.

Basingstoke then weathered a Portsmouth storm before grabbing a further two goals through penalty corners.

Despite renewed efforts, Portsmouth could not break down the defence until the last move of the game, when Ian Cheshire netted.