Dominant Fareham impress to beat Chichester

Fareham goalscorers, from left, Dan Robertson, Rob Wilson and Ben Hibberd
Fareham goalscorers, from left, Dan Robertson, Rob Wilson and Ben Hibberd
Niall Stott Picture: Neil Marshall

Fareham edge thriller at Havant

Have your say

Fareham produced their most dominant display of the season in a 3-1 win over Chichester Priory Park on Sunday.

Ben Barnes’ side were comfortable throughout the National League conference west clash, except for a scare in the last two minutes when they conceded two penalty strokes.

All the goals came in the second period from Dan Robertson, Rob Wilson and Ben Hibberd.

Performance director Barnes was delighted with the way Fareham nullified their opponents.

He said: ‘Overall we dominated the game. It was the most controlled we’ve been all season.

‘Chichester are a very dangerous side on the counter-attack but we didn’t give them any opportunity.

‘When they did look to counter, we got back and our defending was excellent.

‘We were very compact and that frustrated them and then allowed us to dictate the play in the second half.’

The score remained goalless at half-time but Fareham had chances to open the scoring.

Josh Godfrey had a snapshot go just wide, as did Wilson.

Luke Emmett was Chichester’s biggest threat and he missed out on deflecting the ball in after 20 minutes.

Hibberd received a green card but then returned to the field and went close for the visitors.

Shortly before the break, Chris Davey also hit the post.

Fareham upped their game in the second half and despite an early penalty corner for Chichester, took the lead on 43 minutes.

Jamie Rawlings’ superb aerial pass was well controlled by Godfrey, who squared it for Robertson to smash in.

Polish international goalkeeper Maciej Pacanowski saved well from a penalty corner but it wasn’t long before Hibberd deflected in to make it 2-0 from Wilson’s penalty corner strike.

The hosts responded well to the goal, though, and forced George Harris into a couple of saves.

Godfrey had a one-on-one with the keeper smothered before Wilson extended the lead on 64 minutes, deflecting in Seager’s fierce reverse-stick strike.

Fareham were guilty of taking their foot off the gas and in the final minute allowed their hosts back in it.

Goalkeeper Harris caught a player at the top of the D and Chichester’s Martin Gough converted the resulting penalty stroke.

Harris then saved another penalty stroke in the dying seconds to keep the scoreline at 3-1 scoreline.

Barnes added: ‘Craig Sims, who was man of the match last week, had an excellent game again, and Jon Price, at the back, just mopped up any potential counter attacks.’

The result means Fareham have won the last three games and are fifth in a very close division.

They are level on 24 points with Exeter and Birmingham and are now just two points off second-placed Bath Buccaneers.

So it is all to play for when Fareham take on Birmingham at home next Sunday (1.30pm).