Leaders hit late winner to dash Fareham fightback

Jamie Rawlings hit three goals for Fareham in the 5-4 defeat
Jamie Rawlings hit three goals for Fareham in the 5-4 defeat
Have your say

FAREHAM were denied a dramatic point as Cardiff Met won 5-4 in the National League conference west on Sunday.

After fighting back from 4-0 down to level at 4-4 Fareham were then stunned by a late winner from the hosts.

Ben Barnes’ side could be proud of a great comeback against the league leaders, even though it was not enough after a late winner.

Fareham started the game badly when they started to give away possession to the opposition and found themselves trawling after 18 minutes.

Ioan Wall opened the scoring from open play and then Fareham conceded two further open play goals, four minutes later, both from Jack Pritchard.

Then to add to Fareham’s misery Charles Hunte increased the lead to 4-0 going into the interval for Cardiff.

This was again from open play with Fareham turning over possession.

Barnes’ team regrouped at half-time and came storming back in the second half.

Six minutes after the interval Fareham won a penalty corner and Jamie Rawlings stepped up to convert it to reduce the deficit to 4-1.

The visitors continued to apply pressure on the Cardiff defence.

Then on 52 minutes James Evans scored his first goal for Fareham from open play.

A minute later and Fareham got another penalty corner as Rawlings stepped up and put the shot past the Cardiff keeper to take the score to 4-3.

Then on 59 minutes Fareham pressure and renewed confidence was rewarded with another penalty corner and Jamie Rawlings stepped up again to make it 4-4, with 11 minutes to go.

Then three minutes before the end Luke Hawker ran into the D to score the winner for the Welsh outfit.

Fareham Ladies beat Eastbourne 1-0 on Saturday.

A great run and cross from Rebecca Reavell was converted at the far post by Vicky Field on 15 minutes.

Coach Steve Lemon praised his side.

He said: ‘We defended superbly and thoroughly deserved the three points.’

Fareham boys’ under-14 team are continuing to shine with a 5-3 win over Winchester yesterday to get to the final of the Hampshire Cup.

Fergus Jackson hit three goals. The scoring was completed by Phil Larcombe and Joe Caine. They are also in the last 32 of the England Hockey Cup and top the Southern Premier League. A win next time out against Marlow could seal the title.