Fareham rue missed chances in Birmingham draw

Daniel Sampey scored two goals for Fareham in the draw with Birmingham.'Picture: Mick Young
Daniel Sampey scored two goals for Fareham in the draw with Birmingham.'Picture: Mick Young
Have your say

Ben Barnes admits Fareham were guilty of not taking their chances in their 2-2 draw with University of Birmingham on Sunday.

It was the first game back for the National League conference west side following the winter break.

Two goals from Daniel Sampey earned Barnes’ side a share of the spoils and maintains the two-point gap to third-placed Birmingham.

‘We didn’t convert as many as I had hoped’, said Barnes.

‘In the first half we should have been two or three goals up.

‘The goalkeeper made some good saves and they scrambled one off the line.

‘At 2-2 the game became very frantic and open and both teams were really going for it.’

Fareham took the lead on 18 minutes through Sampey after Birmingham failed to challenge an aeriel into the D and the Australian took it down and smashed the ball past the goalkeeper.

The visitors created numerous chances to extend the lead but Sampey and Ben Hibberd were unable to take them and Birmingham managed to turn the game round to lead 2-1 at half-time.

Ciaran O’ Connell and Edwin Waters both scored from quickly-taken free hits.

However, Fareham levelled the scores seven minutes into the second half after Alex Boxall, back from illness, Hibberd and Danny Rawlings combined down the left flank and sent in a cross for Sampey.

Fareham finished the game stronger but were unable to get the winner.

‘The draw keeps us in touch with Birmingham as we look to get into third position,’ said Barnes.

‘Rob Wilson was absolutely outstanding in defence.’

Vicky Field scored a late equaliser at Andover to rescue a 2-2 draw for 
Fareham in South Clubs’ Women’s League division three B.

The scores remained goalless at half-time but the hosts took the lead early in the second period.

Maggie Kinder then fired home to make it 1-1 but Andover regained the lead on 65 minutes.

Fareham went for broke in the last five minutes, though, and were rewarded with a second equaliser from Field.