Havant dish out capital punishment

Ollie Nail. Picture: Mick Young (151343-04)
Ollie Nail. Picture: Mick Young (151343-04)
Have your say

Havant completed a league and cup double over London Wayfarers as they recorded two narrow away wins at the weekend.

The Barncroft Way outfit edged to a 3-2 success at Battersea Park in South League premier division one on Saturday.

Ady Adams’ side then returned 24 hours later to snatch a penalty stroke victory in the second round of the National Cup.

That 4-3 triumph, which came after the match was locked at 2-2 in normal time, has earned them a third round battle with neighbours Chichester.

The league success, meanwhile, was their first on the road this season.

Havant travelled to the capital without Mike Deller-Merricks and promising youngster Tomek Bruml – the latter on Futures Cup duty.

And while they started the game well, the visitors had to defend a number of early penalty corners.

The defence was well marshalled by skipper Raj Laly until Wayfarers finally found a way through on 10 minutes.

Havant responded well to the setback, though, and pushed forward to win their first penalty corner, which flashed past the right-hand post with the keeper beaten.

Connor McLaughlan linked well with James Evans and Ollie Nail as the visitors began to get a foothold.

And from another set-piece, which had to be retaken, Adam Seccull drag- flicked an equaliser high into the roof of the net.

Havant continued to press for the rest of the half but were dealt a blow when Indy Laly pulled a hamstring.

He was followed off the pitch by Gerald Cox shortly after the break.

Cox dislocated his knee cap and his departure left Havant short of numbers.

It did not deter the visitors, though, as they continued to push forward with Borja Meissner and Nail linking well.

With willing runners James Evans and James Speke to feed, Havant were soon threatening the Wayfarers goal again.

After a short corner was fluffed, they were awarded a penalty stroke when Craig Duffy was deliberately fouled in the circle.

And Nail stepped up to flick the ball into the roof of the net to give Havant a 2-1 lead.

The visitors very quickly extended that advantage when Chris Smith roofed a penalty corner.

Wayfarers refused to give up but as they poured forward in pursuit of a route back into the game, Havant started to pick them off on the counter-attack.

They were unable to take any of the chances they created – with McLaughlan coming closest when he had an effort superbly saved.

And then with time running out, Wayfarers netted a penalty corner to make it 3-2.

However, it was too little, too late and Havant’s experience in midfield saw out the win with Duncan Marsh and Duffy impressing.