Havant fail University examination

Nicky Atkins was on target for Havant. Picture: Neil Marshall
Nicky Atkins was on target for Havant. Picture: Neil Marshall
  • Barncroft Way ladies lost 3-1 in Oxford
  • Nicky Atkins nets third goal of South Clubs’ Women’s League campaign
  • Havant cut five points adrift at foot of table
Have your say

Havant could not replicate a positive first-half performance as they were beaten 3-1 by Oxford University in South Clubs’ Women’s League division one.

They fell behind to a penalty corner strike in the 24th minute.

However, the visitors immediately equalised through Nicky Atkins.

The forward netted her third goal of the campaign after keeping her cool in a goalmouth scramble.

And as they grew in confidence, Havant continued to apply pressure to the students.

But after the break, Oxford profited from a defensive mistake to take the lead again.

The home side then extended their advantage with 10 minutes to go.

A short corner was well defended but Oxford managed to force the ball over the line.

Havant goalkeeper Mel Insall, returning after a couple of years away from the club, made a series of superb saves, which even drew praise from the Oxford supporters.

But ultimately Mark Robinson’s side were left frustrated.

The Barncroft Way outfit, who have picked up just one points from their opening seven games, are now five points adrift at the foot of the division one table.

Fareham could not overturn an early two-goal deficit as they lost 3-1 to Surbiton III in division three B.

Vicky Field got Fareham back on track with a deflected effort on 19 minutes.

But Surbiton extended their lead in the second period from another short corner.

In men’s action, Luke Gould scored a hat-trick for Fareham II in a 4-1 victory over Southampton in South League Hampshire/Surrey regional division one.

An excellent reverse-stick strike by Callum McInally opened the scoring and Danny Rawlings unselfishly squared the ball to Gould for a tap in the second.

Southampton pulled one back but Fareham went 3-1 up thanks to Gould.

Jamie Young went on a mazy run with 10 minutes to go and Gould finished the move to seal his hat-trick.