Double defeat piles the misery on Havant

Havant battle Old Georgians. Picture: Mick Young
Havant battle Old Georgians. Picture: Mick Young
Have your say

Havant endured their most miserable weekend of the season after losing to title rivals Old Georgians and then crashing out of the men’s national cup 24 hours later.

Ady Adams’ side look destined to spend a third season in South League premier division one following the cruel 1-0 defeat in the title decider at Havant College on Saturday.

Havant taking on Chichester in the cup. Picture: Neil Marshall

Havant taking on Chichester in the cup. Picture: Neil Marshall

The following day, they took the lead in their quarter-final cup clash with Chichester but then slumped to a 3-1 defeat.

Havant coach Adams has all-but conceded the title to Old Georgians, who are now three points clear with a game in hand.

He said: ‘The ball is definitely in Old Georgians’ court.

‘We’re asking for something special for us to win the league but stranger things have happened.

‘It’s disappointing because that result put us six points behind for the rest of the season.

‘They’re a side with James Tindall in it and he’s a proven goalscorer.

‘We’ve got to make sure we keep winning our games.

‘I was really disappointed because we feel we’ve been on the back end of some really harsh decisions.

‘That’s two games they’ve beaten us 1-0 and in both I think we were the better side.’

Havant certainly deserved at least a point but the result hinged on a controversial penalty corner to the visitors midway through the second half, which was converted by the league’s top goalscorer James Tindall.

Adams added: ‘I’m really happy with the performance of the side.

‘I felt we created enough chances to win the game.’

Chichester started Sunday’s game well but Havant weathered the storm to go 1-0 up thanks to a penalty corner rebound, which was put away by Mike Deller-Merricks.

Despite the visitors being on top, they didn’t carve out any clear-cut opportunities.

Chichester scored an early equaliser and then Duncan Marsh had to go off with a nasty cut on his thumb.

A lack of finishing meant the hosts charged into a 3-1 lead with 15 minutes remaining.

‘We had more than enough chances to put the game to bed and we have to shoulder the blame for the defeat,’ said Adams.

Meanwhile, Havant under-18s won 2-1 against Old Loughtonians in the EH Cup fourth round.

Havant made a dream start at Barncroft Way with Tom Verney opening the scoring after just two minutes.

The visitors equalised late on but Ben Stainton, making his first appearance of the season for Havant, scrambled the ball over the line for a dramatic last-minute winner.