Havant scorch Firebrands

122732-03_MY_Hav_hockey'Havant v Bath Buccaneers.'Craig Duffy shoots across the goal.'Pic Mick Young'29/09/2012
122732-03_MY_Hav_hockey'Havant v Bath Buccaneers.'Craig Duffy shoots across the goal.'Pic Mick Young'29/09/2012
Share this article
Matt Cox scored for Havant. Picture: Keith Woodland

Havant unable to halt Olton counter charge

Have your say

League success was tempered by cup disappointment as Havant tasted both victory and defeat over the weekend.

The mid-table National League conference west outfit continued their decent run of league form with a 3-0 victory over basement boys Bristol Firebrands.

Satchi Reddy’s early strike from a penalty corner put Havant on their way to success as he fired home into the top corner.

Andy Pett then extended the lead in the second half as his angled drive was too hot to handle for the Firebrands keeper.

Gurmukh Bhamra then secured the points late on with a cracking solo effort.

But while the scoreline looked a comfortable one, goalkeeper Andy Isaacs deserves huge credit for his part in the win.

He made two superb saves early in the second half – one of which resulted in him needing treatment, after a particularly courageous block.

Although the 3-0 league victory was a bright start to the weekend, the club’s hopes of following that in the league cup 24 hours later ended in a third-round 5-2 defeat to conference east side Holcombe.

Pett again found himself on the scoresheet as he put his side ahead early in the game, diverting Bruno Gorrini’s drive.

He made it 2-0 soon afterwards with a reverse-stick shot.

While Havant will have fancied their chances of booking their place in the next round, they had another thing coming as their opponents clawed their way back into the game.

Holcombe roared back in style and had pulled it back to 2-2 before half-time and then dominated the second period to run out 5-2 winners.

Meanwhile, Havant’s ladies’ search for a South Clubs’ Women’s League triumph goes on after a 3-1 defeat at Teddington.

With the squad depleted through illness and absence – and without coach Drew Emery due to injury – the Barncroft Way outfit travelled with only 11 players.

But they were buoyed after 20 minutes when Katie Pugh put them in front against the run of play.

A penalty corner was struck by Vicky Kimber and Pugh was on hand to hammer the shin-height ball home at the left post.

Havant protected the advantage until shortly before the break, when Teddington levelled during a goalmouth melee. The Middlesex hosts, who boasted a full bench to freshen up their side, then netted another scrappy goal 60 seconds after the restart to take control.

Pugh, her fellow player-of-the-match Laura Hudson and Holly Firkins worked tirelessly in midfield to find a way back into the game.

But a third Teddington goal, three minutes from time, killed off any hopes the valiant Havant team had of a comeback.