Havant stay positive despite loss to Olton & West Warwicks despite home defeat

Charlie Stubbings on his way to scoring the opening goal for Havant against Olton & West Warwick. Picture: Neil Marshall
Charlie Stubbings on his way to scoring the opening goal for Havant against Olton & West Warwick. Picture: Neil Marshall
Have your say

Havant lost 3-1 to Olton & West Warwicks in the National League men's conference west.

Impressive visitors Olton & West Warwicks were clearly a good and well drilled team.

They had the balance of play in the first half and were able to keep possession well, moving the ball round with a number of passes available for the ball carrier.

To see the full picture gallery click on the link at the top of the story or on the icon on the main image.

In the early stages the visitors attacked with intent and goalkeeper Maciej Pacanowski made a good save for Havant.

The home side responded well to coming under early pressure and won a penalty corner in the 10th minute.

Drag flicking expert Fererico Bertoni stepped up, but was thwarted by the visitors’ number one runner who was extremely quick off the line to deflect the ball wide. 

Havant opened the scoring on 13 minutes when Jonathan Pickett sent a long aerial ball to Charlie Stubbings who collected and delivered a clinical finish.

The lead only lasted four minutes and the equaliser also came from a long aerial. A defender stepped up on the receiving forward and thought he had done enough to win a free hit so stopped playing.

But this allowed the forward to run into the circle and slip the ball to Edwin Waters who made no mistake in the 17th minute. 

Olton & West Warwicks went into the lead in the 29th minute when Tom Mallett put the visitors ahead with a reverse shot into the netting.

Both sides had further chances, but the next and final goal fell to the visitors when Martin Ebbage flicked the ball high into the net in the 64th minute.

The home team continued to attack and in the 65th minute Ethan Hoddle was clear down the left. His cross shot flashed across the goal and Matt Boote was just unable to get a touch. 

Olton & West Warwicks won their first penalty corner in the 66th minute which was well saved by Maciej Pacanowski.

Despite the result, Havant competed well, controlled parts of the game and created chances.

Havant ladies lost 1-0 to Woking on Saturday in South Clubs’ Women’s League division two.

It was an even contest with Havant edging the first half but then Woking taking more control after the break.

Havant paid for not taking chances in the first 15 minutes of the match.

Woking netted with a penalty corner strike late in the second half.

Determined Havant looked to strike back but were lacking potency in attack and never really threatened the goal.

Fareham lost their opener 5-2 away at Oxford Hawks.