Ollie Nails late winner for Havant

Satchi Reddy, left, and Oliver Nail were the mat-winners for Havant. 'Picture: Mick Young
Satchi Reddy, left, and Oliver Nail were the mat-winners for Havant. 'Picture: Mick Young
Have your say

Satchi Reddy returned to Havant just hours after flying in from South Africa to inspire a 3-2 victory over London Wayfarers on Saturday.

Reddy, who left the club in 2013, has rejoined for the rest of the season to boost Havant’s promotion chances.

The visitors trailed 2-1 at one point but secured the win thanks to a last-gasp winner from Ollie Nail with just seconds to go.

Captain Raj Laly admitted they were lucky to snatch all three points but was pleased his side kept going until the very end.

‘We were lucky but I suppose sometimes you need that,’ said Laly.

‘We didn’t play our best but somehow Ollie Nail scored with just eight seconds left to win it for us.

‘It was a nice feeling to get the win. A draw wouldn’t have been good enough, especially with our rivals winning.

‘We never gave up despite not playing our best.’

The South League premier division one encounter was almost called off due to the frozen pitch but play got under way on time and Havant made the most of the conditions by scoring 10 seconds in.

Great work by Nail and Sam Broadhurst created a tap-in for James Speke’s opener.

However, Havant let Wayfarers back into the game and they equalised after seven minutes.

Their London opponents continued to get under their skin and they took the lead 10 minutes later from a penalty corner.

Going behind seemed to spur Havant on, though, and they got back on the front foot, creating good chances for both Broadhurst and Tomasz Nowicki,

Unfortunately, however, they could not convert these.

Havant’s third short corner was won in the 22nd minute and new signing Reddy stepped up and converted high to the goalkeeper’s right to make it 2-2 at the break.

There was plenty of goalmouth action in the second half with goalkeeper Ben Cowling producing a man-of-the-match performance to keep the hosts in the game.

Despite being under pressure, the defence held firm, even after one shot rattled the crossbar.

London Wayfarers then also hit the post but the ball was deflected away from goal by Cowling’s toe to keep it all square.

With time running out, Havant broke once more and good work by Mike Deller-Merricks and Nail led to a last-ditch winner with the final touch of the game.

It was a crucial three points and Laly was keen to point out the vital contribution made by Reddy so soon after his flight.

‘He did very well considering he was jet-lagged. He arrived at Heathrow at 6.20am but was still keen to play,’ added Laly.

‘He did really well for us and scored a drag-flick. That was what he was brought back for and he was close to scoring another goal.’

Meanwhile, Andrew Galliers scored a consolation for Havant seconds as they were beaten 3-1 by Winchester in Hampshire/Surrey division one.

n Callum Stone was man of the match in City of Portsmouth’s 9-1 defeat to Reigate in Hampshire/Surrey division two.

The Seconds fared better, winning 5-3 against Haslemere in Hampshire/Surrey division four thanks to a hat-trick from Jamie Moore and goals from Alan Ball and Luke Parson.

The man-of-the-match award went to Marcus Underdown.