Seager double ensures Fareham open account

James Seager. Picture: Ian Hargreaves (161237-7)
James Seager. Picture: Ian Hargreaves (161237-7)
Have your say

James Seager grabbed a brace as Fareham broke their National League conference west duck with a 3-0 defeat of hosts Chichester on Sunday.

Scott Rawlings was also on the mark as the Henry Cort outfit eased to their maiden victory – and leapt above the University of Bristol at the foot of the table.

Fareham will resume their league campaign after the Christmas break just one point adrift of eighth-placed Isca.

Chichester are only three points ahead in seventh.

The West Sussex outfit held Ben Barnes’ troops to a draw at Henry Cort earlier in the season.

But Seager’s opener on 22 minutes put Fareham in control of the reverse fixture.

The visitors held on to the lead for the remainder of the first half before forging further ahead after the break with two goals in seven minutes.

Rawlings extended the lead before, on 50 minutes, Seager completed the scoring.

Meanwhile, Steve Lemon has lauded the killer instinct of Fareham’s ladies’ first team after they thrashed Worthing 9-1 in South Clubs’ Women’s League division 3B.

Laura Farrell scored four times as the Henry Cort outfit ran riot against the rock-bottom Sussex outfit.

And Lemon was delighted to see his fifth-placed troops produce such a clinical display after falling behind early on.

The coach said: ‘It was a excellent performance.

‘Their goal early on was the wake-up call we needed.

‘And once we got into our stride there was no stopping us.

‘What was really pleasing was the quality of some of the goals.

‘The link-up play was excellent and the finishing was clinical.

‘Wimbledon will be a much tougher proposition next week but we will go there full of confidence.’

After a sluggish start saw them slip 1-0 down, Fareham sprang to life.

A seven-minute hat-trick from Farrell saw them take a firm grip on the game.

Her first came from a well-struck short corner before a close-range finish and fine solo effort completed the treble.

Jo Madeley added a fourth on 32 minutes when she fired home the rebound after the keeper saved Amanda Hilsdon’s initial shot.

Vicky Field then put the game beyond Worthing’s reach on the stoke of half-time – with a powerful run down the right and a calm finish past the onrushing keeper.

Farrell added her fourth early in the second half when Field burst through the Worthing defence and squared for a simple tap-in.

Bex Close deflected home a Madeley shot to make it 7-1 and then produced a sharp finish from a Field cross for the eighth.

Field rounded off a fine performance with another solo effort, leaving the Worthing defence in her wake before applying another calm finish.