Title chase right back on track as Henley are swept aside

Jamie Whitehouse set up Havant's second goal against Henley. Picture: Mick Young (151763-09)
Jamie Whitehouse set up Havant's second goal against Henley. Picture: Mick Young (151763-09)
Have your say

Five-star Havant got back on track in South League premier division one thanks to a comfortable 5-1 win at Henley

The victory leaves them joint second in the table – ahead of Oxford Hawks and Spencer on goal difference.

Havant were missing Adam Bloomfield, Ady Wilkinson and Duncan Marsh for the trip to Oxfordshire.

However, the victory was marred by a nasty facial injury to Havant skipper Raj Laly in the first half.

The ball hit the defender’s front teeth and he was unable to play on.

Sandeep Singh got the scoreboard rolling from a penalty corner to take his goal tally for the season to 11.

Henley equalised through Geoff Joseph.

But Havant got back in front just seconds before the half-time whistle.

Jamie Whitehouse robbed a Henley defender and slipped the ball through for Maciej Janiszewski to finish off.

Within 30 seconds of the restart, the visitors went 3-1 up when Mike Deller-Merricks’ through ball found Janiszewski and he expertly beat the defender and the goalkeeper for his second goal of the game.

Deller-Merricks then got on the scoresheet before the best goal of the game was scored by Tim Davenport.

It all came from Jonathan Pickett’s superb 35-yard ball from defence, which found Davenport unmarked in the D.

He then pirouetted 360 degrees and smacked it in on his reverse stick to cap off a fine afternoon for Adams’ men.

It wasn’t all plain sailing for the team, though.

Their coach was disappointed with the manner of the goal they conceded.

Adams said: ‘We should have cleared our lines better for the goal.

‘We had a couple of opportunities to clear it and their player had too much time to put it into the D in the first place.

‘It was another case of sloppy defending.

‘Henley aren’t a bad side, they’ll beat a few of the teams in this division.’

Adams explained what happened for Laly’s injury in the first half.

He said: ‘Raj went in for a 50-50 ball and it came off his stick and hit him in the mouth.

‘He came off straightaway and saw a dentist after the game.’

Meanwhile, Havant seconds beat Hamble 5-1 in Hampshire regional division one.

And the thirds also won as they recorded a 4-2 success against Trojans seconds in Hampshire division one.