University boys hand out lesson to Havant

Sunny Singh
Sunny Singh
Matt Cox scored for Havant. Picture: Keith Woodland

Havant unable to halt Olton counter charge

Have your say

Havant men’s EHL Conference West challenge suffered a blow as their Welsh return ended in a 2-1 defeat to Cardiff University.

Following the previous weekend’s frustrating 1-1 draw with Whitchurch in Cardiff, Havant returned to the Welsh capital in determined mood – aiming to stay in touch with league-leaders Team Bath.

Cardiff weathered an early Havant storm and took the lead in the 23rd minute when Dafydd Tomos slammed home a shot past Havant goalkeeper Andy Isaacs.

The visitors responded well and, just three minutes after the Cardiff goal, Havant’s Sunny Singh brought the score back to 1-1.

Having beaten two players, Sunny found himself with the time and space to put his reverse strike past Cardiff’s goalkeeper Ben Dudley.

Havant failed to raise their game after the break and found themselves under pressure for long periods.

Cardiff’s second goal came in controversial circumstances when Isaacs was adjudged to have pushed Tomos as the Cardiff man attempted to go round him.

After both umpires conferred, the penalty stroke decision was upheld, and Tomos duly converted it to make the final score 2-1.

Fareham also tasted EHL Conference West defeat, losing 1-0 at home to Guildford.

The hosts drop to sixth in the table as a result.

Havant Ladies travelled to an in-form Reading side – and returned with a hard-earned 2-2 draw.

The match started well for Reading, who scored early on after Shelley Mott made a gallant effort to recover following a superb first save from a Reading strike at goal.

Going down early in the fixture unsettled Havant, who were further troubled 15 minutes in when Reading got an easy second.

It was most definitely a game of two halves as Havant came out with purpose and structure after the break.

The recovery began when Hollie Smith drilled the ball forward to Stephanie Lurshay, who played a neat one-two with Imi Bateman before passing the ball in to the net.

Havant’s second saw Kim Tyrell slap the ball into the net from a short corner.

And, with the game drawing to a close, the away side could have nicked it at the death – but were forced to settle for a draw.