Devils halted by London Raiders after beating Bracknell Hornets

Alex Murray
Alex Murray
Have your say

Solent Devils produced a stylish display to beat hosts Bracknell Hornets 4-1 in National League south division one on Saturday.

Coming from the second smallest rink in the country, the Devils used the extra space on Bracknell’s Olympic-sized pad to great effect.

Mitchell Murray taking the stick past Raiders captain Tom Davis. Picture:

Mitchell Murray taking the stick past Raiders captain Tom Davis. Picture:

The younger, more agile Devils seemed to revel in being able to open up and really move around the ice.

Alex Trendall, who played a year in the USA last season, gets frustrated not being able to get to full speed on some of the smaller rinks.

And the 19-year-old ace was a true force to be reckoned with down the wing during this match.

The first period ended 1-0 to the Devils.

Canadian import Richard Brown received the puck in centre ice and took it all the way to the goal, managing to bury the rebound after his first shot was blocked.

The second period saw three more goals from the visitors.

Steve Gosset got one early on, Brown fired a second and head coach Alex Murray scored the third.

The Hornets head coach also managed one goal, however, the score at the second break was 4-1 to the Devils.

The third period was intense and broke down into a fight at one point.

Hornets had two men removed from the game and three more sent to the sin bin.

Devils had three sent to the sin bin and Mitchell Murray had to leave to seek medical attention for a nasty cut on his head.

However, the match finished with a comfortable win for Devils.

Unfortunately, they could not make it a double celebration when they lost 3-1 to London Raiders on Sunday.

The Gosport outfit started the game one place and one point above Raiders in the league.

It was all to play for and the teams started the match at a furious pace, with plenty of excitement for the fans.

Devils player Ben Lock was the recipient of a strong check and fell awkwardly on one knee forcing him out of the contest.

Unfortunately for Solent, Raiders scored 16 minutes in and picked up a second just 15 seconds later.

Alex Murray managed to pull one back soon after.

But the period ended 2-1 to the visitors.

The second period remained scoreless, however was just as fast and frantic as the first, with both teams desperate to get to the goal.

Ralfs Cercenis was checked hard just before the second break and was also forced to leave the match to follow Lock to hospital.

Late in the third, Devils pulled Christian Cole from the goal to get an extra skater on.

But Raiders captain Tom Davis picked up the puck and sent it in to the Devils’ empty net to seal their win.