Portsmouth 4ths knocked off top of Hampshire League table after 10-goal thriller in Bournemouth

Portsmouth 4ths were knocked off the top of the Hampshire Division 8 table after a 10-goal thriller.

Wednesday, 26th February 2020, 9:41 am
Updated Wednesday, 26th February 2020, 2:26 pm
Pete Wingate, left, rescued a point for Portsmouth 4ths with the final goal of a 5-5 draw at Bournemouth. Picture: Chris Moorhouse.

City rivals US Portsmouth 2nds now occupy pole position after Portsmouth threw away a 3-1 lead to draw 5-5 at Bournemouth 5ths.

USP boast a plus three better goal difference, with both teams having three games left to play.

After Bournemouth took the lead, Portsmouth hit back before the interval through Caleb Rowland and John Arnell.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Pete Wingate extended the advantage in the second half before the hosts hit back to level.

Will Duffy restored Portsmouth’s lead, only for Bournemouth to again score two quick goals to take the lead for the first time.

Wingate had the final say with the 10th goal of the afternoon.

USP enjoyed a less exciting match, winning 1-0 at Yateley 4ths.

Paul Barnes grabbed a hat-trick as Portsmouth 3rds also took part in a goal-fest - in their case a 5-3 victory over Winchester 5ths.

Stu Avery landed an aerial into the path of Barnes to open the scoring early on, before Avery doubled the lead with an powerful flick.

Owen Barnes ran through the Winchester midfield with ease to supply dad Paul Barnes for his second goal with a reverse stick strike.

Winchester pulled two goals back but man of the match Avery grabbed his second goal before half-time.

After Winchester had netted first in the second period, Portsmouth captain Alex Love set up Barnes to complete his hat-trick.

James Payne was keen to get in on the action and, after some devastating runs from the midfield, he nearly managed to beat the keeper.

Late on, the Portsmouth defence - John Farmer, Tristan Barnes, Andy Arnell and Adam Harley along with keeper Oli Barron - remained solid under pressure.

Harry Hellyer struck twice as Portsmouth 2nds defeat Weymouth 4-1.

Hellyer netted the only goal of the first half, before restoring Portsmouth’s lead after the break.

Ian Cheshire and Alex Williams sealed the victory.

Goalkeeper Chris Lawrence won the man of the match award following Portsmouth Vets’ 2-1 success at West Wilts.

Tim Schofield was the star at the other end of the pitch, scoring twice in the first half before the hosts replied with 20 minutes remaining.

Portsmouth's back four defended superbly late on with stand-in central defender Dave Edwards doing brilliantly to break up countless attacks.

Karl Young and Paul Barnes also deserve credit for playing through the pain barrier for most of the game and making telling defensive contributions.