Moneyfields man hasn't forgotten where the goal is despite suffering memory loss from nasty injury

Sam Pearce showed he hasn't forgotten where the goal is as Moneyfields beat Cinderford Town 1-0 at Dover Road in the Southern League division one south.

By The Newsroom
Sunday, 4th November 2018, 1:01 pm
Updated Sunday, 4th November 2018, 2:11 pm
Sam Pearce scored with a header. Picture: Keith Woodland
Sam Pearce scored with a header. Picture: Keith Woodland

Pearce headed in the decisive goal on 59 minutes on his return from a two-week enforced break.

The powerful defender had suffered short-term memory loss after receiving a nasty head injury at Mangotsfield United last month.

He went to hospital for a precautionary CT scan and has very little recollection of that day.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Pearce celebrated his return in the best possible fashion with a goal to remember.

The win takes Moneyfields up to fourth and stretched their unbeaten run in the league to seven games.

Manager Dave Carter praised the character of his experienced central defender.

He said: '˜It is typical of Sam to come back in and score the winning goal.

'˜He is a big, strong lad with loads of experience.

'˜Sam is the sort of player you want in the box for you and not against you.

'˜With all the injuries we are down to the bare-bones at the back so it was good to have his experience and quality back in the side.

'˜It is a pity he can't remember I lent him £50 on the way to Mangotsfield.'

The opening 45 minutes proved a cagey affair with the two sides cancelling each other out.

The home side played with just Steve Hutchings up front.

With the striker a little isolated chances were at a premium.

On 26 minutes home goalkeeper Steve Mowthorpe kept his team on level terms with a good save from a deflected shot.

The goalkeeper produced another fantastic save in the second half after his side had gone in front.

Carter added: '˜We tried to get a bit closer to our striker in the second half.

'˜The game, between two well balanced sides became more open.'

Pearce's decisive intervention arrived from a 59th minute set piece.

Conor Bailey delivered a free-kick into the area and Pearce powered in his header at the near post.