Ashley has no complaints as title chasers beat Trojans

Wes and Wayne Dugan beat the Trojans defence. Picture: Roger Smith
Wes and Wayne Dugan beat the Trojans defence. Picture: Roger Smith
Share this article
Doncaster Knights Rugby Club and former Havant rugby player Ian Williams. Picture: Doncaster Knights Rugby Club/PA Wire

Rugby club’s touching tribute to ‘our boy’ who died on training field

Have your say

Title-chasers Gosport & Fareham recorded a comprehensive 44-12 win over Trojans in London two south west.

The game was switched to Gosport Park because the Trojans pitch at Stoneham Lane was waterlogged.

Gosport coach Scott Ashley felt his side coped well with the difficult situation posed by the heavy rain in recent days.

He said: ‘Sometimes when you are convinced the game is going to be off, players tend to switch off.

‘Then, when you end up playing, it is often difficult to get the game mentality back.

‘That is what happened to us in the opening quarter of the game when we struggled to get out of first gear.

‘The blustery wind and slippery muddy conditions didn’t help.

‘Once we started to get our hands working, and gained some width, then we took charge and Trojans couldn’t contain us.

‘I can’t complain about a bonus-point win and scoring seven tries into the bargain.’

Early on, all Gosport had to show for their efforts against a strong Trojans defence was a Loz Wadham penalty.

Ashley’s team gradually improved, though, to open up an 18-0 lead by half-time.

Full-back Tom Lewis, 18, scorched in for a try on the outside.

Soon afterwards, Ryan Thorne also showed his impressive pace to stroll in for a try.

Dom Porter added a typical forward’s try by driving over from a quickly taken penalty.

The hosts stepped up a gear at the start of the second half, keeping the ball in hand against the wind.

A 20-minute purple patch saw Gosport put Trojans to the sword.

Prop forward Jordan McIntyre powered over to open the floodgates for the hosts.

Wayne Dugan added a brilliant individual try before Lewis raced in for his second, converted by Wadham.

From the restart, Wes Dugan showed anything his brother could do, he could match, with another try.

At 44-0 up, Gosport were coasting and that allowed Trojans a late flourish to score two converted tries.

It was sloppy from the home side but they were never in any danger of losing their advantage.

‘We are still three points ahead at the top, with six games remaining,’ said Ashley.

‘It is still too early to talk about promotion, with Guildford breathing down our necks.

‘We probably have the easier run in but there are plenty of potential banana skins ahead of us.

‘Effingham & Leatherhead are fighting for their lives at the bottom so it won’t be easy up there next week.

‘They won’t be mugs and it will be a difficult test.

‘We have greater strength in depth at the club now, though, and we will take a strong team up to them.’