Gosport buckle without key players

Scott Ashley. Picture: Malcolm Wells (13959-6864)
Scott Ashley. Picture: Malcolm Wells (13959-6864)
Share this article
Have your say

Gosport & Fareham were brought down to earth with a bump in a 26-0 London one south defeat at Twickenham.

The visitors, missing three players from their derby win over Havant, ended up well-beaten by their west London hosts.

‘It was a bad day at the office,’ said director of rugby Scott Ashley.

‘If you have a building and you take key stones out of that building then it is going to be fragile.

‘It is the same with a rugby team when you lose the underpinning foundations.

‘We had 10 senior players missing because of injury, unavailability and work commitments.

‘Because we struggled in the set-pieces we couldn’t establish a platform.

‘Twickenham were a good, fit, well-organised side but we made them look good.

‘Some of our young lads came in and stepped up to the mark.

‘There were others, though, who didn’t and they know who they are.’

Fareham Heathens maintained their unbeaten start back in Hampshire one with a thumping 42-24 victory at Team Solent.

‘It is another great result and currently puts us second in the league,’ said coach Bernie Rhodes.

‘We conceded far too many penalties in the first half but improved our discipline after the break.

‘I wasn’t happy we gifted them a bonus-point try in the last minute, though.’

Harry King, Steve Devoy, Andy Burns (two), Ollie Whitfield and Matt Smith crossed for tries.

Cam Guthrie added two penalties and three conversions.

Locks Heath Pumas made a successful start to their Hampshire two campaign with a 27-3 win at Alresford.

Coach Jim Pearce was delighted to make a winning start with his new-look side.

‘We played very well at times with all our debutants putting in good performances,’ he said.

‘If we can play like that for 80 minutes then it will be quite scary.’

Outside-half Ben Chambers gave Pumas an early lead – converting his own try which came at the end of a mazy 50-yard run.

Debut-making winger Stuart Forbes extended the lead before half-time.

Further tries by Harry Cripps and Carl Darnley – plus a Chambers conversion – saw Pumas to a victory.