Gosport & Fareham told to wise up

Wes Dugan. Picture: Ian Hargreaves (143523-1)
Wes Dugan. Picture: Ian Hargreaves (143523-1)
Have your say

Scott Ashley called on Gosport & Fareham to be more streetwise following their 25-25 London one south draw with Charlton Park.

The director of rugby blamed poor game management for the home side letting vital points slip through their grasp on home turf.

Gosport & Fareham were 25-11 in front before surrendering their advantage late on.

‘We were never behind in the game but failed to close it out and kill them off,’ said Ashley.

‘Our players need to become a bit more streetwise at crucial times.

‘We went to sleep for 10 minutes before half-time and conceded a soft score.

‘Up until then our aggressive defence had been good and had kept them at bay.

‘When we had a 14-point lead in the second half we should have gone on and won it.

‘Instead we allowed them to chip away and get the draw.

‘We ended up with two points when it should have been four or even five.

‘It is such a tight league, every point will count at the end of the season.’

Wayne Dugan had scored all of the home side’s points for the 13-5 half-time lead – with penalties in the 14th and 19th minutes and a conversion of his own 25th-minute try.

Charlton Park hit back to reduce the deficit two minutes before the break.

Two minutes into the second half the visitors pegged the home side back again with a penalty.

Within a minute, though, Dugan provided winger Alex Heron with a scoring pass and converted to take the score to 20-8.

A 52nd-minute penalty narrowed the gap to 20-11 but within six minutes Gosport had put themselves firmly in control.

A brilliant pick-up by second row Mark Pollard resulted in scrum-half Wes Dugan scoring the third Gosport try for 25-11.

But then it all went wrong for the hosts as Park hit back to claim a share of the spoils.

Elsewhere, unbeaten Hampshire two leaders Locks Heath Pumas weathered a second-half fightback to secure a 17-15 home win over title rivals Chineham.

‘We had to show a lot of character and resolve to come through our toughest test this season unscathed,’ said coach Jim Pearce.

‘Chineham threw everything at us in a bruising second half but we held out for the win.

‘It means we have achieved our target of being unbeaten league leaders at Christmas.

‘Our next league game isn’t until the new year but we intend to keep things going with a few training sessions between now and then.’

After Chineham scored an early penalty, the Pumas bared their claws to score three first-half tries.

Josh Adams went over in the corner after a quick tap-and-go penalty.

Winger Stuart Forbes then notched his 12th try of the season and Ben Chambers dribbled over for Nic Di Stefano to add the conversion.