Heavy Gosport defeat a ‘wake-up call’

Havant's Joe Davis

Havant progress lauded but promotion looks out of reach

Have your say

Gosport & Fareham head coach Neil McRoberts said their defeat to Sutton & Epsom was a ‘wake-up call’ after they suffered a 65-24 defeat in London one south.

Just like last week at Twickenham, Gosport had a poor start and were 10-0 down inside five minutes.

However, they rallied back, with centre Sam Foster’s fine eighth-minute try that was converted by full-back Tom Lewis.

Gosport were 23-14 down at the break after scrum-half Wes Dugan took advantage of two Sutton yellow cards in two minutes to cross over, with Lewis converting.

Three minutes into the second half, Lewis’ penalty reduced the deficit to 23-17 and it was all to play for, as Sutton had a player red-carded.

But Gosport could not make their advantage count and instead the visitors scored a devastating 32 points in 22 minutes.

The only consolation for Gosport was another well-worked try, this time from youngster Rory Penfold in the 79th minute.

In the remaining four minutes, more salt was rubbed into the wounds as the hosts conceded another 10 points.

McRoberts said: ‘Is it a wake-up call? Yes definitely, but thankfully we are only four games in and thankfully we’ve already got six points on the board and we have produced some very good rugby.

‘So it’s a case of knuckling down, get over the loss put it in the past and make sure that next week at Basingstoke we are absolutely ready for the fight and for the challenge and that we understand how unforgiving it will be if we don’t step up to the mark.’

Stuart Forbes scored three of Locks Heath Pumas’ seven tries in a convincing 46-7 victory against Overton in Hampshire two.

Pumas were 22-7 up at half-time thanks to tries from Kent Streek, right wing Charlie Hayes and two from Forbes, the second of which was converted by Nick Destaefano.

Jon Barfoot ran in his first try for Pumas, with Destaefano kicking the extras, and it was quickly followed by a second.

James Campbell sprinted 80 yards for the sixth try, before Forbes completed his hat-trick to finish the scoring.