Olonilua strikes late for United Services

Oli Bowles is tackled by two New Milton players. Picture: Keith Woodland
Oli Bowles is tackled by two New Milton players. Picture: Keith Woodland
Have your say

United Services left it late before securing a vital 31-28 London three south west win over New Milton & District.

Mayowa Olonilua scored a push-over try with the final play of the game to give them a five-point bonus point win.

The home triumph lifted them above Old Mid-Whitgiftians and out of the bottom three.

The game was switched to the 3G surface at the last minute after the main pitch at Burnaby Road failed a late inspection.

Services started well and after eight minutes debut-making Sam Masters pounced on a New Milton knock-out to race in for a try.

With their tails up, the hosts soon added a second with Will Rolfe going over.

However, the New Forest side hit back in dramatic fashion with three converted tries to lead 21-14 at half-time.

Services regained the initiative at the start of the second half with a Phil Gilliland try and a second score from Masters.

New Milton looked to have snatched glory with an interception try before Services made their final push.

Gosport & Fareham were left frustrated as their London one south game against Tottonians was called off.

Even though the hosts had worked hard to clear surface water from the Gosport Park pitch, the visiting captain still deemed it unplayable and refused to start.

Gosport skipper Tim Snowden felt the pitch was safe but the rules state both captains have to be in agreement.

With Dover collecting a losing bonus point against Maidstone, it meant Gosport dropped back into the bottom three.

The weather also disrupted the rest of the rugby programme.

Havant’s game against league leaders Guildford was a casualty because of a waterlogged Hooks Lane pitch.

As was Portsmouth’s London two south west game against London Cornish at Rugby Camp.

It was particularly disappointing for number eight Damian Gibbs, who was due to play his final game for the club before returning to New Zealand.

Meanwhile, Locks Heath Pumas coach Nathan Moore has stepped down for family reasons.

The Hampshire one basement side crashed to a 45-0 defeat at Chineham.