Sickening Barnes blow sees Portsmouth match abandoned

Curtis Barnes. Picture: Mick Young (151341-08)
Curtis Barnes. Picture: Mick Young (151341-08)
TRIALS Liam Williams

Gosport marine engineer heads for national rugby tryouts

Have your say

A nasty looking injury to full-back Curtis Barnes forced Portsmouth’s London two south west game at London Cornish to be abandoned after 65 minutes.

Barnes had made a terrific run and looked like scoring when a defender brought him down with a last-ditch ankle tap.

The Portsmouth player fell straight on to his face with his head bouncing straight back up off the ground.

It looked serious with players and onlookers fearing for his health.

‘He didn’t move at all and was obviously concussed,’ said Portsmouth director of rugby Nigel Morgan.

‘It didn’t look good and an ambulance was immediately sent for.

‘We were already playing the game on their second team pitch because their first team pitch was unfit.

‘There was nowhere else we could move the game to.

‘Also it was a bitterly cold afternoon and we didn’t know how long the ambulance was going to take.

‘Cornish were leading 29-0 at the time and had already got the bonus point.

‘So we had a quick discussion and agreed to abandon the game.’

Barnes was taken off to hospital where he had the necessary scans before being brought back to Portsmouth.

‘His neck is pretty sore but his scans were clear,’ said Morgan.

‘It will be up to the league to decide whether we have to replay the game.

‘We are both still in the RFU Intermediate Cup and have written to the league saying we don’t want to replay the game.

‘Hopefully common sense will prevail.’

The visitors – with a much-changed side – had already given a good account of themselves.

The forwards, in particular, had battled hard in atrocious conditions.

London Cornish, however, showed why they are the unbeaten league leaders to lead 15-0 at half-time.

Portsmouth were unbowed and dominated the opening 15 minutes of the second half without scoring.

Two tries in as many minutes though put Cornish back in command.

In London three south west, United Services lost 31-30 at Old Tiffinians.