Mutiny Festival in Portsmouth announces 50 Cent as first headliner
MUTINY Festival has announced rapper 50 Cent as its first headline act for next year's festival.
The American rapper, whose debut album Get Rich Or Die Tryin’ sold more than 10 million records worldwide, will top the bill on the Saturday night.
The festival takes place on Saturday, May 27 and Sunday, May 28 next year at the King George V Playing Fields in Cosham.
Organiser Luke Betts says they have been working hard to book 50 Cent over the last few months and is delighted to have secured such an iconic name.
He told The News: ‘We’ve been trying to bring him over for a long time.
‘As we put more shows on people start to recognise us as we’ve had the likes of Snoop Dogg and Steve Angelo on before.
‘You look at his Facebook page and he has nearly 14m likes.
‘You can go to any corner of the world and people know who he is.
‘It is weird because 50 Cent is a rapper, actor and entrepreneur and he is such a big profile.
‘I have just turned 30 and everyone sees me as a dance fan but I have grown up with hip-hop and R’n’B.
‘The generation before you had names like Biggie and Tupac but then in the early 2000s onwards you’ve got the likes of Jay-Z and 50 Cent.
‘The response we have got so far from the announcement has been crazy.
‘He was over here last playing at the O2 Arena in London and he sold out the M.E.N Arena in Manchester.
‘I’m still a bit shocked that we have got him and this is a big one for Portsmouth.’
Luke also revealed that Mutiny has agreed a five-year deal with Portsmouth City Council to stage Mutiny on King George V playing fields, with an option of an extra two years after that.
Luke added: ‘We are lucky to have the backing of the council and the police behind us to make these things happen.’
Tickets for the festival go on sale on Monday. To find out more click here,