Two men injured after Greggs sign crashes to ground at Portsmouth city centre shop

The front sign of a Greggs branch in Portsmouth has toppled over as strong winds batter the city.

Saturday, 10th August 2019, 2:30 pm
Updated Saturday, 10th August 2019, 6:05 pm

Photos taken at the scene show the sign lying outside the shop at the south end of Commercial Road, near to Portsmouth and Southsea train station.

Ambulances and police officers have been at the shop this afternoon.

Alan Cole, who was passing by the shop after the sign fell down, said two people were lying on the ground being treated by paramedics.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Picture: Alan Cole

He said: ‘When I got there two people were being treated on the ground and they were taken away in two ambulances.

‘One had a neck brace on and there were also doctors from the air ambulance and police there.’

Read More

Read More
Ferry services scrapped as strong winds cause chaos across Portsmouth

Hampshire Constabulary and South Central Ambulance Service have been contacted for comment.

Paramedics and police were at the scene. Picture: Alan Cole

Greggs said customer safety was of ‘paramount important’ to the firm and that the company was ‘concerned for the welfare of the individuals involved’.

A spokeswoman for Greggs said: ‘We will work closely with all parties to understand the cause of this incident, but until more information is available we cannot comment further.

‘Our thoughts are with the two people involved and we wish them a speedy recovery.’

The incident comes after strong gusts of up to 50mph were forecast for most of the UK, including Portsmouth.

Picture: Alan Cole

A yellow-level weather warning has been issued by the Met Office, who have warned of travel disruption across the country today.

High winds have been pummelling the area since last night, with weekend events having to be cancelled or be dialled down.

Hovertravel has cancelled services today, while a tree on the railway line has been causing delays between Havant and Haslemere.