Everything parents need to know about applying for Year R primary school places for 2019 in PortsmouthÂ
Applications for places to start at primary schools in Portsmouth and Hampshire are now open and parents are being encouraged to apply.Â
By law, children must begin school at the start of the term following their fifth birthday.Â
In Portsmouth, most children will start school when they are four years old, the city council has said.Â
So if your little one wasÂ born on or betweenÂ 1 September 2014 andÂ 31 August 2015 then they will be starting school next year.Â Â
If you are applying for Year R places in Portsmouth September 2019 here's what you need to know:Â
When do you need to apply by?
- the closing date for applications isÂ Tuesday, January 15 2019
- Applications cannot be made online afterÂ Tuesday 15 January 2019,Â please use a paper form for late applications
- Paper applications received after closing date will be processed after on-time applications have been considered and allocated places
- Paper forms will be available afterÂ Wednesday,Â November 14 2018Â to download from the documents section below, from the Civic Offices or Portsmouth infant and primary schools.Â
Applications for Year R places at primary schools under the jurisdiction of Hampshire County Council also close on January 15 '“Â meaning parents have 71 days left to apply as of today (November 5).Â
How do you apply?Â
When will we find out aboutÂ outcome of school application?
The national notification date for on-time applicants is April 16, 2019.Â
If you applied using a paper form, you will be sent a letter on the notification date by post.
Please allow 2 to 3 working days for your letter to arrive.
What happens next?
Parents must take evidence of their address and their child's date of birth along to the school within two weeks of the application decision.
You will be asked to provide two of the following as evidence of address:
- a recent household bill, for example a gas, electricity, water, or Council Tax bill
- a recent bank statement, credit card statement, store card statement
And if you have moved house:
- a solicitor's letter confirming that exchange of contracts has taken place, or
- a signed tenancy agreement (usually for a 12 month period)Â
Please take your child's birth certificate or passport to evidence their date of birth.
Please let us know in writing if you no longer need the place so that it can be offered to another child.
If you have not been offered a place at your preferred school, your child will be added to theÂ waiting list.
You also have aÂ right to appealÂ against the refusal.