Number of A&E visits to Queen Alexandra Hospital increases after drop due to Covid-19

THE number of patients visiting the city’s emergency department is beginning to rise after a drop of nearly half due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Monday, 22nd June 2020, 4:31 pm
Updated Monday, 22nd June 2020, 6:00 pm
Queen Alexandra Hospital

Visits to the A&E at Queen Alexandra Hospital increased in May compared to April but numbers still remain well below pre-pandemic levels.

NHS England data shows 9,137 A&E attendances were recorded at Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust in May.

This was an increase of 39 per cent on April, but still 32 per cent below the same month last year.

Sign up to our public interest bulletins - get the latest news on the Coronavirus

Sign up to our public interest bulletins - get the latest news on the Coronavirus

NHS England data shows 6,580 A&E attendances were recorded at the hospital in Cosham in April marking a 49 per cent decrease from April the same month in 2019, when there were 12,872.

Figures for March this year saw a drop of 23 per cent with only 10,122 patients seen compared with 13,098 attendances last year.

NHS trusts across England dealt with 1.3 million A&E attendances in May, up from 917,000 in April – making them the two quietest months since such records began in 2010.

The Royal College of Emergency Medicine said the reduction had helped ease overcrowding, but said patients should not be afraid to get care.

Read More

Read More
How Queen Alexandra Hospital in Portsmouth has changed to deal with the coronavi...

Dr Katherine Henderson, president of the organisation, said: ‘Emergency Departments are safe and if you are injured or seriously ill you should go right away.

‘If patients have an issue but only have mild non-urgent symptoms it is important to seek help from the right source. Pharmacists, NHS 111 and GPs are all there to provide care.

‘By choosing the right service patients can get the help they need while keeping the NHS safe and reducing the risk of further spread of coronavirus.’

It comes after news that no deaths linked to coronavirus have been reported at Queen Alexandra Hospital for two weeks.

Figures released at the weekend showed that one person died on Friday, June 5, but no deaths had occurred in the 14 days since then. The number of deaths remains at 229.

Figures are subject to change as post-mortem results are filed, as the hospital trust can only fully confirm deaths several days after they have happened.

A message from the Editor

Thank you for reading this story on portsmouth.co.uk. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to portsmouth.co.uk and enjoy unlimited access to local news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit our Subscription page now to sign up.

Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.