Double Diamond worked wonders…  as it crashed through pub bay window | Nostalgia

Five pictures here from The News archive showing long-demolished buildings across the area.

By Deborah Croker
Sunday, 18th April 2021, 6:00 pm
The Sailor's Return  on the corner of Prospect Road which led to Flathouse Quay, Rudmore, Portsmouth. It was demolished to make way for the ferry port but before that its bay window frontage was demolished when a dray lorry lost a barrel of Double Diamond and it went through the window.
The Sailor's Return on the corner of Prospect Road which led to Flathouse Quay, Rudmore, Portsmouth. It was demolished to make way for the ferry port but before that its bay window frontage was demolished when a dray lorry lost a barrel of Double Diamond and it went through the window.

For more in this collection click here.

A message from the editor, Mark Waldron.

You can subscribe here for unlimited access to our online coverage, including Pompey for 27p a day.

Bishop's Waltham station - closed to passengers in December 1932 but not demolished until 1965.
The Dock Mill, a well known landmark in Southsea for more than a century, built in 1816 and demolished in 1923. Picture: The News PP5668
Cosham's oldest cottage on the corner of Court Lane and Havant Road in 1930, it was 400 years old and was demolished in 1949. Picture: The News PP4232
Lama House on Hayling Island before it was demolished in the 1930s. Picture: The News PP3409