LAWRENCE MURPHY: Easy to make and delicious to eat
The short rib is one of those fantastic sticky, unctuous dishes that is easy to prepare and delicious to eat.
4 short ribs of beef
2 onions roughly chopped
2 carrots peeled and cut into 2cm
1 leek split washed and cut into 3cm
Dessert spoon tomato paste
4 cloves garlic
500ml red wine
1 litre veal or beef stock
Dessert spoon green peppercorns
20g butter in small cubes
1. Put the litre of stock in a saucepan; bring to the boil and simmer until you have reduced it by half
2. Whilst you’re reducing stock, fry the short ribs until they go brown.
3. In a large casserole dish brown off the onion, carrot and leek.
4. Add the tomato paste and cook for two minutes.
5. Transfer the ribs to the casserole dish, add red wine and the stock.
6. Bring up to a simmer, cover with a lid and then put into a pre-heated oven 150c gas 2/3 for three hours.
7. After that the meat will be very tender - remove from the liquid and keep warm.
8. Pass the remaining cooking liquid through a fine sieve into a sauce pan. Settle and skim off fat.
9. Boil the liquid until it starts to thicken and look glossy - now reduce the heat, add the peppercorns and whisk in the butter to finish your sauce.
n Lawrence’s restaurant is Fat Olives, Emsworth. fatolives.co.uk, 01243 377 914.