FRATTON ATTACK: Two men bailed as victim remains in critical condition

TWO MEN have been released on police bail after a man was left for fighting for his life in a serious assault in Fratton yesterday.

Saturday, 15th October 2016, 3:54 pm
Updated Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 8:10 pm
Searching and Road Closures Portsmouth, Hampshire Friday 14th October 2016 A 38-year-old man is in a life-threatening condition after a serious assault in Fratton in the early hours of this morning. A police cordon is in place in Fratton this morning, and police are diverting traffic away from the scene. A cordon had been in place in Fratton Road at the junction to Lake Road, but it has now been moved back into Lake Road so traffic can travel southbound down Fratton Road. Portsmouth City Council said on Twitter that the road will be closed until about midday. First Portsmouth tweeted to say services 3, 7 and 18 will be diverted while the cordon is in place. One resident, 48, said they were shocked by what happened. Normally Lake Road is quiet, you get the occasional anti-social behaviour but nothing like this,  he said. It is awful to wake up to see all the police - you immediately think the worst. Hopefully it was an isolated incident. A woman who works down Lake Road added: It is horrific to think wh

Police have confirmed that two men, a 19-year-old and a 20-year-old, both from Portsmouth, have been released until November 14, pending further enquiries.

They were being quizzed by detectives last night after being arrested on suspicion of committing grievous bodily harm at an incident in Lake Road yesterday morning at 3.30am in which a 38-year-old man sustained serious neck injuries.

He remains in a critical condition at the Queen Alexandra Hospital.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A police spokeswoman said yesterday that they believe the attack was drug related.

It follows a minor knife incident last night in Shearer Road, Fratton last night at 7.39pm in which a person suffered minor wounds to a hand.

Nobody has been arrested and police are not appealing for witnesses in relation to the incident.