Gosport baby death verdict: CPS reacts after Roxanne Davis and Samuel Davies found guiltyÂ

PROSECUTORS have said evidence made it clear Roxanne Davis and Samuel Davies were responsible for the '˜harrowing' death of Stanley Davis.

Wednesday, 28th November 2018, 12:32 pm
Updated Wednesday, 9th January 2019, 2:48 am
Samuel Davies and Roxanne Davis with Stanleys car seat.

Newborn Stanley from Gosport, died in March 2017 after suffering fatal injuries to his head, which included skull fracture and brain haemorrhage from which he could not recover.

Roxanne Davis, 30, and her ex-partner Samuel Davies, 24, were found guilty at Winchester Crown Court today by a jury of seven men and five women. 

Read More

Read More
GUILTY: Roxanne Davis and Samuel Davies convicted over Gosport baby's '˜brutal' ...

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Samuel Davies and Roxanne Davis with Stanleys car seat.

The court heard that Stanley lived for 24 days and that Davis and Davies had been his main carers since his birth on March 4, 2017. Stanley was rushed to hospital on 21 March and died later.

The jury was told that one of the two defendants inflicted fatal injuries to Stanley's head, causing a skull fracture and brain haemorrhage from which he could not recover.

Following his death, Stanley's body was examined by medical experts and in addition to the fracture to his skull, he was found to have sustained 32 fractures to his ribs and nine fractures to his arms and legs that were caused on more than one earlier occasion.

Carl Anderson, of the CPS, said '˜The CPS presented evidence to the court including CCTV, telephone logs and medical records from doctors and nurses who saw Stanley and medical experts who provided evidence in relation to his injuries.

A picture of Stanley Davis issued by police Picture: Hampshire Police/PA Wire

'˜During post-natal appointments and check-ups, Davis and Davies gave medical staff the impression there were no problems with Stanley and only reported difficulties in getting him to take his milk.

'˜The reality was quite different. Both knew Stanley had already suffered serious injuries but neither said anything, leaving Stanley without the medical attention he desperately needed.

'˜Both the defendants denied killing Stanley but it was clear from all the evidence that one of them had caused the horrific head injury that killed him.

'˜The other was, or should have been aware, that there was a risk of serious harm to Stanley because of the multiple fractures he had already suffered but instead of doing something to prevent anything further happening to him, they did nothing.

'˜Our thoughts are with the members of Stanley's extended family who have lost a child in such harrowing circumstances.'