Gosport murder trial: Pathologist says some wounds on Kelly-Anne Case may have been inflicted after her death

WOUNDS inflicted on a young mum found murdered and tortured in her bedroom may have been carried out after she died, a court heard.

Friday, 17th January 2020, 12:36 pm
Updated Friday, 17th January 2020, 12:37 pm

Pathologist Dr Basil Purdue told Brendan Rowan-Davies’ murder trial that 27-year-old Kelly-Anne Case had no defensive injuries.

Jurors at Winchester Crown Court heard 5ft 1in Ms Case, found dead in Grange Crescent in Gosport when firefighters were called to a blaze at her home, suffered a triangular wound to her neck.

Dr Purdue, who carried out a post mortem, said there were multiple incise wounds and one stab wound into the neck that severed the carotid artery and jugular vein.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Police in Grange Crescent, Gosport Picture: Chris Moorhouse (310719-88)

Dr Purdue said: ‘The majority of the neck injuries including the fatal stab wounds were inflicted before death.’

But he said some incise wounds below the main area ‘may have been inflicted after death’.

Read More

Read More
Gosport murder trial: Bus CCTV footage shows accused killer Brendan Rowan-Davies...

More wounds were found on the back and front of Ms Case’s shoulder.

Ms Case suffered 16 bruises to her legs, having caused by ‘moderate force’. Dr Purdue said: ‘There were multiple scattered, isolated bruising to the limbs, some on the arms as well.’

Dr Purdue said Ms Case had no defensive injuries and could have been immobilised by ‘fear’ or simply ‘overwhelmed’.

Asked by defence barrister Kate Lumsdon QC asked if ‘band-like marks’ on her wrists from the cable ties meant they were ‘applied post-mortem, after death,’ Dr Purdue said: ‘Yes.’

He said marks on Ms Case’s face were largely not bruising on her face but were possibly caused after death when her head was moved from being face down.

Rowan-Davies, 29, of Trinity Close, Gosport, denies murder and arson. He had been in Ms Case’s home with a friend hours before a passer-by called 999 at 8.33am having seen smoke from her home on July 30.