Knifepoint robber jailed after hell-raising spree on innocent members of public

A TEENAGER who robbed and attempted to rob members of the public during a hell-raising quick-fire spree has been jailed for nearly three years.

By Steve Deeks
Saturday, 19th December 2020, 3:41 pm

Billy Broomfield, 18, of Bluebell Road, Southampton, pleaded guilty to assault with intent to rob, three counts of robbery, three counts of attempting to rob, having an article with a blade or point and assault on an emergency worker at Southampton Crown Court in September.

Read More

Read More
Hampshire police officers from crime unit could face the sack after racist and h...

The incidents were carried out within minutes of each other in the Swaythling area of Southampton on August 27.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Billy Broomfield

Broomfield began his reign of terror at 6.30pm when he entered Subway on High Road, Southampton, and assaulted a member of staff.

He then produced a knife which he used to threaten the victim with whilst making demands for money.

Then at 6.35pm he approached a 30-year-old man at Swaythling Train Station before threatening him with a knife whilst making demands for his property. The man gave him his watch and Broomfield left.

At 6.40pm, he approached a 29-year-old man on Brookside Way with a knife and demanded his phone, which was handed over before he left.

Five minutes later Broomfield approached a 57-year-old woman who was walking her dogs on Monks Way and threatened her with a knife and demanded her phone. But the victim told him she didn’t have a phone and ran off towards Brookside Way.

At 6.50pm, a 26-year-old man was approached on Octavia Road and threatened with a knife whilst demanding his phone. The man didn’t hand anything over and ran off.

At 6.55pm, Broomfield threatened a 37-year-old woman and her partner on Mansbridge Road with a knife. After holding the knife towards the woman’s face the man handed over cigarettes.

Finally, at 7pm he approached a 51-year-old man and his family in Riverside Park. He demanded the man hand over his wallet, money and phone whilst threatening him with a knife.

But the 51-year-old man was able to help detain Broomfield as police turned up.

Broomfield was arrested and taken to Southampton Central Police station, where he assaulted a police officer.

Broomfield was jailed for 34 months.

A message from the Editor, Mark Waldron

You can subscribe here for unlimited access to Portsmouth news online - as well as fewer adverts, access to our digital edition and mobile app.

Our trial offer starts at just £2 a month for the first two months.