Police plea for video footage of large fight on Southsea Common

POLICE investigating a brawl on Southsea Common are urging witnesses who may have recorded the fight to hand in their footage.

Monday, 1st June 2020, 1:34 pm
Updated Monday, 1st June 2020, 5:33 pm

The punch-up took place on Thursday, May 21, just after 6pm and involved a large group of youths.

Shortly after the disturbance on the Common, officers received a report of a gang of males trying to gain access to a property in nearby Nightingale Road, Southsea.

As reported at the time, a meat cleaver and bottles were seized by police and three boys attended Queen Alexandra Hospital following this incident. No serious injuries were reported.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Police on Southsea Common on May 26 as hundreds of students gathered at the city's open space. Picture: @Holistic.Trash

Now police investigating the both incidents believe footage of the fight on Southsea Common could contain vital evidence.

Read More

Read More
Gangs of teenagers spark call for Portsmouth area to 'not throw good work away' ...

A spokesman for Hampshire police said: ‘Officers have been told that members of the public filmed the incident on the Common as it unfolded, and we are keen to capture any video footage to help with our enquiries.

‘If you filmed this incident, or witnessed it and have not yet spoken to police, please call us on 101 and quote 44200180867.’

Alternatively, contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111, or via their anonymous online form at crimestoppers-uk.org

Four people have been arrested as part of this investigation, and have since been released on police bail until June 18.

Those arrested included a 21-year-old man from Essex, arrested on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon in a public place, two 17-year-old boys from Portsmouth, both arrested on suspicion of wounding with intent and possession of a psychoactive substance with intent to supply, and a 16-year-old boy from Portsmouth, arrested on suspicion of wounding with intent and possession of a psychoactive substance with intent to supply.

A message from the Editor

Thank you for reading this story on portsmouth.co.uk. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to portsmouth.co.uk and enjoy unlimited access to local news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit our Subscription page now to sign up.

Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.