Taxi drivers' anger as vandals smash windows in spree

TAXI drivers have spoken of their anger after a string of attacks on their vehicles.

Wednesday, 25th May 2016, 6:01 am
From left, Abdul Haque, Mohammad Choudry, Faizul Fahim, Russell Crewe, Fa Mahud, Mark Stone, Shahiul Islam, Nizam Ahmed, Ohibur Rahman, Mohammad Alam Picture Ian Hargreaves (160697-1)

Nearly 20 cars have had their windows smashed in a spate of vandalism between May 8 and 17.

Police have linked several of the crimes and are still investigating further incidents of damage.

Faizul Fahim, 37, had his City Wide taxi windows smashed overnight twice, first one window then two.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Both happened in Hanway Road, in Buckland.

Speaking to The News Faizul said: ‘It’s really bad, it’s cost me £200 and £115 the first time – it’s really frustrating.

‘I was absolutely shocked. It’s not just my taxi, there were four broken on Monday.’

Stuart Hogg, 40, of Paulsgrove, co-owns a fleet of 20 taxis – of which 11 have been vandalised in two weeks.

He said: ‘It’s a nightmare and all 11 of ours didn’t have a single thing stolen.

‘It’s been happening over and over again.

‘Our insurance is going to go up and fares are going to go up. It does affect everybody.’

He added he does not think the culprit is anybody connected with the taxi trade.

Hampshire police have confirmed about 17 reports but are investigating more that could be linked.

In most cases nothing was taken but £200 was stolen from one taxi in Brownlow Close, in Buckland, overnight between May 8 to 9.

On the same night, windows were smashed on cars parked in Hanway Road and Crown Street.

More vehicles were targeted overnight on May 16 to 17 in Washington Road, Buckingham Green, George Street, Outram Road, Little George Street and two were taxis targeted in Nutfield Close.

Five taxis had their windows smashed in Northern Parade, Hilsea, on May 18.

Driver Forhad Mahmud, 38, of Southsea, added his car was damaged in Clive Road overnight on May 10 to 11.

He said: ‘I had the MoT booked for the next day and couldn’t go to the MoT.

‘I had to pay for the windows, it’s very frustrating. I’ve got two windows broken, they’re smashed for no reason.’

A Hampshire police spokeswoman said: ‘I can confirm police are 
investigating a number of linked incidents.’

n A 15-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of theft from motor vehicle and criminal damage and was bailed until June 20.