Thugs battered victim with metal pole during ferocious attack in Gosport park

TWO men ferociously battered their victim with a metal pole in an organised fight breaking one of his teeth.

By Ben Fishwick
Friday, 14th June 2019, 4:58 pm
Updated Thursday, 20th June 2019, 12:35 pm
Walpole Park in Gosport. Picture: Sarah Standing (110899-6427)
Walpole Park in Gosport. Picture: Sarah Standing (110899-6427)

Victim Benjamin Oldfield suffered bruising and swelling to his cheek, right eye socket, right lower jaw, left ear and bruising to his entire back in the attack.

Both Connor Davis and Lewis Dine, both 21, blamed each other for the assault in Walpole Park on June 25 in 2017 when arrested by police.

But Portsmouth Crown Court heard it was no-hoper Dine ‘lost control’ continuing to batter Mr Oldfield, whose chin had to be stitched by medics, when pal Davis dropped the 10inch hollow metal pole.

Walpole Park in Gosport. Picture: Sarah Standing (110899-6427)

Prosecutor Martyn Booth told how Mr Oldfield met the pair as he ‘wanted to discuss things and sort things out’.

Thug Davis, who has no previous, hit Mr Oldfield round the head with the pole, the prosecutor said, and added: ‘He describes himself as being punched as well, and he goes to the floor as a result of those blows.

‘It’s whilst he’s on the floor that Mr Dine becomes involved. He picked up the bar that had previously been in the possession of Mr Davis, and repeatedly strikes Mr Oldfield to the back area.

‘Mr Oldfield goes into a ball effectively to protect himself. The attack can properly be described as sustained – it’s a pretty ferocious attack upon Mr Oldfield.

‘He tries to punch out in order to protect himself but is unsuccessful in doing so.’

The attack ‘fizzled out’ just after Mr Oldfield tries to pass a dropped phone to Dine – who responds by swinging out punches that did not connect.

Unemployed Dine, who also admitted to a common assault against a man he was told was a paedophile at Agnew House hostel on May 10, was jailed for 22 months. He has five court appearances for eight offences.

Davis, who has ‘genuine remorse,’ was handed an 10-month term suspended for 18 months with 250 hours’ unpaid work and 20 rehabilitation days. He accepted his guilt earlier.

Both men admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm and having an offensive weapon.

Davis, of Magenni Close, Gosport, attempted to stop Dine, now of Middle Park Way, Leigh Park, from hitting the victim.