UPDATE: Two people arrested after man is stabbed in Southsea

POLICE have arrested two men after a brawl spilled into a quiet street in Southsea, which left one man in a serious condition in hospital after he was stabbed.

Sunday, 2nd October 2016, 2:44 pm
Updated Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 3:00 pm
A police officer and an officer in a forensic suit survey the scene in Lansdowne Street, Southsea (October 2, 2016) PPP-160210-115331001

Two men have been taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital, in Cosham, after the incident, which erupted in Lansdowne Street, just after 7am this morning.

The brawl involved four men and was sparked following an argument inside a property in the street.

The injuries of one of the victim were so serious that medics have placed him in an induced coma – although police have stressed the 24-year-old’s condition is ‘not believed to be life-threatening’.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A spokeswoman for the force said: ‘It is believed that a group of people were at an address in Lansdowne Street, when an altercation occurred between four men.

‘The men and two women went into the street, where it is alleged that the men began fighting.

‘A 24-year-old man from Portsmouth was taken by ambulance to Queen Alexandra Hospital and is in an induced coma. His condition is not believed to be life-threatening.’

The police spokeswoman said that a 30-year-old man from Southsea has been arrested on suspicion of wounding with intent and a 26-year-old man from Southsea has been arrested on suspicious of grievous bodily harm with intent.

She added: ‘It is believed the men were known to each other and there is not thought to be any risk to the wider community.

‘There has been an increased number of officers in the area this morning, conducting house to house enquiries.’

The road was taped off this morning as a forensic investigator and an officer with a police dog surveyed the scene at around 11am.

A red bag was also left in the middle of the street by one of the homes.
University of Portsmouth student Kyle Erskine, 21, heard ‘screaming and shouting’ in the Southsea street.

Mr Erskine, who lives in St Paul’s Road, said: ‘I think a man was stabbed. There looked like there was blood on the floor.

‘I was woken up this morning to lots of screaming and shouting, so I looked over and saw a black man just lying on the floor.

‘He was very still.

‘There were a few people around him, trying to help and they stayed there until the police and an ambulance came.’

Mr Erskine says that the shouts that woke him up were women shouting ‘go away’ and ‘stop!’

He only recently moved into the street just a couple of weeks ago after returning to University.

He added: ‘I’ve only lived here just a few weeks so It’s pretty scary to think about.’

Another resident of St Paul’s Road, who did not wish to be named said: ‘It’s awful.

‘I’m very worried as I am scared about this kind of thing happening just a street away from where I live.’

A spokeswoman for South Central Ambulance Service confirmed they were called at 7.09am this morning and that two ambulances were sent to the scene of the assault.

Police are now appealing for witnesses to the incident to come forward.

Those with any information about the attack are being urged to call 101, quoting 44160371917.