Prince Harry throws his support behind Portsmouth's new Royal Marines Museum

PRINCE Harry has thrown his support behind a multi-million pound mission to create a new museum honouring the ‘rich and impressive heritage’ of the Royal Marines, The News can today reveal.

Thursday, 23rd January 2020, 10:04 am
Updated Thursday, 23rd January 2020, 3:30 pm

The Duke of Sussex endorsed the effort to build the new attraction in the heart of Portsmouth Historic Dockyard.

In a letter penned to heritage chiefs at the National Museum of the Royal Navy, revealed for the first time, the royal admitted he was ‘delighted’ by the plans.

The news comes amid reports the prince faces being stripped of his honorary title of captain general of the Royal Marines after cutting ties with the royal family.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Prince Harry has thrown his weight behind a bid to build a new Royal Marines Museum in Portsmouth.

In his letter, dated October 19, the duke said: ’I am exceptionally proud to be the captain general of the Royal Marines. It is an organisation with such a rich and impressive history, a history that should be on display for all to see.

‘I was therefore delighted to hear of the plans to create the new Royal Marines Museum in the heart of Portsmouth Historic Dockyard.

‘This move is important as it puts the Royal Marines Museum in its appropriate place, fully integrated as part of the Royal Navy’s history, accompanying the many wonderful exhibits already in the dockyard.

‘It is part of a wider duty we have to preserve the corps’ heritage and historic artefacts, demonstrating the contribution the Royal Marines have made, and continue to make, around the globe to as wide an audience as possible.’

Read More

Read More
Dockyard chiefs to apply for up to £4m for new Royal Marines Museum in Portsmout...

Prince Harry said the new location would ‘capitalise’ on the dockyard’s ‘impressive footfall’ of people visiting the heritage site.

But the royal warned there were still ‘challenges’ that had to be overcome before the museum was opened.

The 35-year-old army veteran called on people to throw their support behind the bid and donate to a fundraising campaign.

He added: ‘To succeed, we must raise £5m in the next two years. This is something I fully support and would encourage those who admire the Royal Marines, their achievements and the values they represent, to consider how they might support this worthy cause.’

Prince Harry has come under intense scrutiny after announcing he would step back from royal duties earlier this month.

Earlier this week he flew to Canada to be with his wife Megan, the Duchess of Sussex, and their son, Archie after wrapping up a royal engagement in London.

Prince Harry was made the captain general of the Royal Marines in 2017, taking over from his grandfather, the Duke of Edinburgh – who had held the title for 64 years.

Prince Philip now wants his daughter, Princess Anne, to take over the role as figurehead of the Royal Marines, The Sun reported.

As captain general, the 69-year-old princess would be the first female head of the Royal Marines Corps in 155 years.