Firefighters rush to Historic Dockyard after electrical fault

FIREFIGHTERS rushed to huge fumes of smoke in the Historic Dockyard this morning.

Saturday, 14th January 2017, 10:15 am
Updated Saturday, 14th January 2017, 10:27 am
Fire crews at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard due to an electrical fault in generator building (picture courtesy of Cosham Fire Station) PPP-170114-101033001

An electrical fault in a generator building off Queen Street caused the fumes at around 01.54am.

A spokesperson for Southsea fire station said that no fire was detected but that the smoke was caused by the electrics short-circuiting.

He said: ‘We received a call at 01.54am this morning to reports of an electrical fire in the Historic Dockyard.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

‘After investigating the scene using breathing apparatus, we discovered no fire but that the smoke was being caused by the electrics short-circuiting.

‘We handed the situation over to BAE Systems at 3.45am this morning.’

An appliance and an aerial ladder platform from Southsea attended the scene alongside a response vehicle and an appliance from Cosham fire station and an appliance from Havant fire station.