Fire crews called to tumble dryer fire in Waterlooville

FIRE crews were last night called to a tumble dryer fire in Waterlooville.

By Neil Fatkin
Wednesday, 1st April 2020, 10:31 am
Updated Wednesday, 1st April 2020, 11:07 am

Fire crews from Cosham, Horndean and Waterlooville attended the incident on Oasthouse Drive after receiving a call at 7.48pm.

One hose reel and two jets were used by firefighters to extinguish the blaze along with two sets of breathing apparatus for protection against smoke inhalation.

All occupants were accounted for and the fire was confined to one room. A 65-year-old female was handed over to the care of the Ambulance Service.

Firefighters were last night called to a tumble dryer fire in Waterlooville.

Fire crews were stood down at 8.38pm.

Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service have previously warned about the safe use of tumble dryers.

Community Safety station manager, Gina Gray, said: ‘We urge all Hampshire residents not to leave electrical appliances including tumble dryers and washing machines unattended, especially overnight. Risks of fire are reduced when tumble dryer filters are cleaned regularly, not overloaded and not left unattended.’


Thank you for reading this story on While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to and enjoy unlimited access to local news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit our Subscription page now to sign up.

Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.