People scramble for safety as errant firework causes Southsea flat fire after coming through window

PEOPLE were left scrambling for safety after a ‘freak’ New Year’s Eve incident resulted in an errant firework nosedive through an apartment window before setting a bedroom on fire.
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

Two ‘shaken’ people escaped the first floor flat on Hester Road, Southsea, after they were alerted to the blaze by a smoke alarm.

Read More
Mum, son and puppy rescued from burning Portsmouth flat after tumble dryer catch...

Curtains in a rear bedroom caught fire as flames engulfed the room before firefighters from Southsea, Cosham and Portchester - with a command support unit - attended the incident just after 8.45pm.

Fire crews attendedFire crews attended
Fire crews attended
Hide Ad
Hide Ad

After two hours the fire was brought under control using four breathing apparatus and a pressure ventilator.

‘The fire was caused by a firework that came from elsewhere and caused the curtains to catch fire after coming through a window. We dampened down the flames in the rear bedroom,’ the watch manager of Southsea Fire Station, who did not want to be named, said.

‘No one was injured and everyone got out safely after being alerted by a smoke detector - highlighting how important they are. Everyone was ok apart from being a little shaken.’

The watch manager urged people to take more care with fireworks. ‘This was a purely accidental freak incident but people setting off fireworks should think about their actions,’ he said.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Fireworks should be kept to a minimum and people should take care when using them.’

A message from the Editor, Mark Waldron

You can subscribe here for unlimited access to Portsmouth news online - as well as fewer adverts, access to our digital edition and mobile app.

Our trial offer starts at just £2 a month for the first two months.