Toddler dies after falling from 'faulty window' in tower block - National

A toddler has died after falling from a ‘faulty window’ in a block of flats.

Friday, 1st November 2019, 1:49 pm
Stellar House in Tottenham, north London where a toddler has died after he fell from a window on the ninth floor. Picture: Caitlin Doherty/PA Wire

Police were called to Stellar House in High Road, Tottenham, north London, at around 11am on Thursday, and found the boy, aged around 18 months, in a critical condition.

The London Ambulance Service, London Fire Brigade and Air Ambulance attended and the child was taken to a north London hospital but was pronounced dead shortly after arrival.

Residents in the tower block said the boy had fallen after opening the window in the ninth-floor flat.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Read More

Read More
Wightlink's £30m hybrid ferry breaks down between Portsmouth and Isle of Wight

Neighbour Meral Dervik said the toddler's mother had been complaining to Haringey Council about a faulty handle for two months but that nothing had been done.

She said: ‘The window, it was faulty. Nearly two months, that was what (the mother) was saying.

‘She was calling the council to come to fix it. The handle was not secure.’

She added: ‘I had the same problems with the windows, even the glass is broken.’

The toddler was said to have lived in the Haringey Council flat close to Tottenham Hotspur Stadium with his mother, father and older sister.

Ms Dervik said the boy's mother was 'shocked and upset’, and added: ‘She was looking after the kids brilliantly, she cared about the children.’

A man who was visiting his aunt on the same estate on Thursday said there were ‘loads of police’ in the area, and a man, believed to be the boy's grandfather, was seen crying.

Formal identification and a post-mortem examination will take place in due course.

The Metropolitan Police are treating the death as unexplained and continuing their inquiries.

A cordon remains in place at the scene and no arrests have been made.